Regarding Fireflies...

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by BobF, Jun 2, 2014.

1. BobF

BobF Well-Known Member

As some of you may know, I currently live outside of Richmond, VA. My back yard borders a forest, and one of the things I enjoy is watching the fireflies put on their 'show' every summer in the evening, usually beginning around the last two weeks in May.

Well, we are now in June, and so far I have yet to see even one of these little guys lighting up the evenings. I know we had a pretty harsh 'polar vortex' winter, but I grew up in Michigan, where the winters were far more harsh, and we still had fireflies every summer.

I'm posting this message here on 4042 because I'm curious to know if this is just a local anomoly, or is this a more widespread situation. Is anyone in Johnston County seeing fireflies yet, or does it seem like these guys are (for some reason) absent this year?

2. 26.2

26.2 Well-Known Member

They put on a great show this weekend in the 40/42 area.

3. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

We JUST started seeing fireflies the other day.

4. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

I've been seeing them for the past 2 weeks or so in my backyard, more this past weekend though.

5. Pepper Jack

Pepper Jack Well-Known Member

It's been a really active year here in the heart of 4042. Lots of entertainment at dusk.

6. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Yep, fireflies for the past month or so. Can box some up and send them your way if you'd like!

7. BobF

BobF Well-Known Member

Enlightened

Thanks, all, for the responses. I guess the little buggers are just 'running late' in my neck of the woods. I was a bit worried that there might have been some widespread but silent environmental event happening that kept them from returning, and I'm glad to see that this suspicion wasn't correct.

I'll just have to be patient.

[​IMG]

8. shygrrl

shygrrl Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  9. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

10. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

I just noticed them for the first time in our yard on Saturday night...could have been there earlier but first time we were sitting outside for a spell. Even grown up, I find them almost magical to watch!

11. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I've seen them for about 3 weeks now. Love them!!

12. BobF

BobF Well-Known Member

Still Dark

...and still nothing here. I hate to think that they are gone, because they add so much to the Summer evenings.

Maybe this weekend....

13. BobF

BobF Well-Known Member

June 6 and nothing.

Give me hope,Johnston County.

Any good news? Any sightings?

14. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Yes. Lol I was just outside and was checking one out. I’ve seen a couple around.

BobF likes this.
  15. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

Yes. Wife and I walked in the field and enjoyed 3 last night. They are showing up.

Sherry A. and BobF like this.
  16. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

Same as others . Seen them out about 3 weeks. We have a woods behind us and there were a lot last night. the neighbor kids were out catching them.

BobF likes this.
  17. BobF

BobF Well-Known Member

...and still nothing here. Don't know why I worry, they always show up eventually. It's just that Summer doesn't seem to "officially" start for me until I see one.

Sherry A. likes this.
  18. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

I just started seeing them in my yard yesterday. I was so excited that I bet my neighbors thought it was the first time I had ever seen them (Durham).

BobF likes this.
  19. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

There's a species only in the NC Smokies where all the males syncronize their flashing. (Photinus carolinus)

Was camped out trout fishing on Brown Moutain last week. No city lights to ruin the show. That area is normally border line for them but temps at night were in the high 70's and we were in the river valley. It was amazing. The forest canopy lit up and then went dark. Then the females on the forest floor matched the pattern. Over and over. Started at sundown and went on for 2 hours.

I think they are the Brown Mountain Lights mystery?? Lol
    https://www.google.com/url?q=https:...FjARegQICBAB&usg=AOvVaw1rNZKroSHx3CxUVzPj29sm

Sherry A., Hught and poppin cork like this.
  20. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

How’d fishing go? Were you able to limit out?