Why isn't there a cafeteria?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by MizSeeker, Jun 9, 2014.

1. MizSeeker

MizSeeker Well-Known Member

Reading restaurant threads (cause I'm hungry and wont go cook) - why isn't there a cafeteria around here? I almost drove up to Cameron Village this weekend to get chicken and pastry or some fried chicken and egg cus-My Friend pie.

::: sigh :::

Martha :cry:

2. barney726

barney726 Well-Known Member

i'm in! i am told not enough housetops. k&s had planned one for garner and 4042 years ago. one of the partners in k&s, mr. smith told me his favorite fishing hole was right down the road from 4042 and they would build. they owned the k&s's on new bern avenue and cary. one of the partners (sylvester) now owns d&s in crossrodas cary. he is the one that told me not enough house tops in clayton or 4042. i disagree but i dont have a pot to pee in so i can't open one and prove them wrong.

3. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

Because we don't have enough senior citizens to keep one afloat?

4. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

when we 1st moved here in 2003 there was a sign for K & S or W coming soon across timber drive from the Target at 70. they cleared the trees on the lot, then stopped. I think it did not get approved by Garner. Too many neighbor issues.

5. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

Yes it was going to be a K&S. Proposed property was designated "residential". Due to residents in that area objecting the Town of Garner did not approve rezoning so no K&S. White Oak would be a great area for cafeteria if we can't get one in Clayton. Cary, New Bern Road (Raleigh) and Cameron Village are only options and not very convenient for us "seniors" in Clayton.

6. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Why go to a cafeteria when there is a feeding trough by the name of Golden Corral at the 4042 area?

7. gcoats3

Better food at cafeteria. But you are spot on your evaluation of GC.

8. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

-Said no one. Ever.

9. Judge Smails

Judge Smails Well-Known Member

I'll say it, and have several friends who join the chorus.

Some cafeterias have much better food than GC. The last few times I've been to GC I was less than happy when I left because a lot of the food was barely tolerable. They still have several good choices, but especially their veggies are hardly edible.

10. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

I vote cafeteria over GC anyday of the week.

11. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

This like having to choose whether to slap your own mama on the right cheek or the left cheek.

12. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm not a fan of either place.

13. molly2008

molly2008 Well-Known Member

Agreed.

Speaking of...what good does it do for food prep folks to wear gloves if they are still going to touch their faces, their clothes, money, etc.? May as well rip those things off and go ahead and freely handle the food.

I actually requested that a person change their gloves Monday after witnessing her touch her face, her glasses, her hair, her clothes, money, paperwork, the phone, you name it and go right back to food prep without changing them. Yeah. NO. :cuss:

Wasn't at 4042 BTW

14. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

That is a health code violation. You are welcome to report them to the health department. It may take some searching online to find the correct one, such as this one for Wake Co - http://www.wakegov.com/food/healthinspections/contacts/Pages/default.aspx

15. molly2008

Hopefully the fact that I pulled her to the side and explained that she needed to change her gloves will make her more aware in the future. The downside of making be wait 20 extra minutes, I had plenty of spare time to observe. It's not the first time I've done that. Last year I saw a fast food employee smoking outside as I walked in, he then came inside and proceeded to go right back to work without washing his hands...and no gloves. :banghead:

16. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

If GC is the bar that is set, then you won't have to go far to be for sure.

To each their own, I guess.

17. Vanosa

Vanosa Active Member

cafeteria

You may be happiest (and healthiest!) if you learn to cook, and to enjoy the simple process of it, and getting added health benefits, by using healthy ingredients! For instance, when I make a quiche (egg pie), I make a simple crust (or you can use store bought), sauté any type of vegetable I have on hand, and make a basic egg cus-My Friend (in any cookbook), add some grated cheese, bake, and voila! I also have leftovers for the week ahead. I eat out occasionally, but if you are adverse to extra germs, spending too much $$, etc., then enjoying your own home-cooked meals is the way to go!

18. MizSeeker

MizSeeker Well-Known Member

WOW - lots of opinions. No great surprise.

Love quiche. I know how to cook. Been a baker for many, many years. There are some nights where I don't being tired of cooking for myself. I do some batch cooking and freezer meals. But some items - like chicken and pastry - just don't seem to come in small batches and I prefer it not frozen. And you know - if I fix an entire egg cus-My Friend or buttermilk pie - I have to make sure it doesn't go to waste!

My experience is that not all cafeterias are alike - just like any other restaurant. I've been to some good ones - and then the others. Maybe I should have said - GOOD cafeteria? One with good fried chicken? After a third degree burn - I don't fry anymore. Veggies are starting to come in and I am loving them with some grilled chicken but sometimes you just need fried.

Of course - if anyone has any suggestions for a place with great fried chicken - or good fried fish for that matter - chime in!

Thank you!

Martha

19. molly2008

What makes you think no one here knows how to cook and healthfully? Trust me, I can cook and quite well. However, it is nice to have someone else do the work once in a while. Just not at a cafeteria thanks. And it isn't too much to expect basic sanitation while it's done. ;)

20. gcoats3

Locally we like Smithfield ChickenBBQ (Clayton location) for fried chicken and Captain Stanley's for fried seafood.