DOT Public Meeting for 40/42 and Cornwallis

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by aphorista, Jun 8, 2014.

1. aphorista

aphorista Well-Known Member

Improvements to the I-40/NC-42 Interchange and Improvements to Cleveland Road (SR1010) and Cornwallis Road (SR1525)
    TIP #: I-4739
    County: Johnston
    Date: June 19, 2014
    Location: West View Elementary School at 11755 Cleveland Road, Garner
    Documents:

If you go to the DOT website and search for projects then public meeting, you can view the documents that were attached.

2. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Thanks!

I can only assume from the project maps that they plan to study an exit ramp at Cornwalis and I-40. I would also like to see them add Cornwalis and 42 to the project where the new Sheetz is (or will be).

3. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I am going to put it on my schedule to go. I wonder if it is going to include making the exit 312 a SPUI

4. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

The purpose of this meeting is to seek public input on several options for increasing mobility and reducing traffic congestion at the I-40 and N.C. 42 interchange in Johnston County, including the area around Cleveland and Cornwallis Roads. The need for the project is due to the substantial growth in the area, as well as future traffic projections. Project maps are available online.

The meeting will take place on Thursday, June 19, from 4 until 7 p.m. at West View Elementary School, located at 11755 Cleveland Road, Garner. Attendees are welcome to stop by at any time during the meeting hours. There will not be a formal presentation.

However, NCDOT representatives will be available to meet with attendees to answer questions and receive comments. Written comments or questions can be submitted at the meeting or to NCDOT Senior Public Involvement Officer Anamika Laad at the below address no later than July 3, 2014.

For additional information, contact Laad at 1598 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, N.C. 27699-1598, by phone at (919) 707-6072, or by email at alaad@ncdot.gov.

http://wtsbradio.com/localnews-wp.php

5. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Every time I hear of NCDOT 'improvements' it makes me think of the 40/70 Clayton Bypass,reducing it from 3 lanes to 2-what a great improvement! :?

6. Pepper Jack

Pepper Jack Well-Known Member

it worked. It's much better now than when all 3 lanes were open

7. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

That is true, but it still sucks. I have sat in traffic there every morning for the past 4-5 years or so.

What they need to do is continue that 3rd lane all the way up to and over 70 business, where the 3rd lane comes back. Less than 4 miles of adding a single lane. But we all know with the NC DOT, that will take 5 years to build and costs $100M.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  8. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

:cheers:

9. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

They are planning this now. Last I heard was work is supposed to start 2017. I saw surveyors in the area of the US 70 interchange over the past year or so.

http://www.ncdot.gov/projects/i40nc42/

10. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Instead of doing it only to highway 42 they need to widen it all the way down to highway 210 (exit 319) I figure if they eventually put an exit at Cornwallis all it will do is jam up traffic between highway 42 and Corwallis on I-40

11. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

There is a fat chance of DOT widening this for another 7 miles in either direction. I think if they end up putting in another interchange at Cornwalis you'll see a lot of the traffic smoothed out (no backs ups at 42 ramps).

12. jesse82nc

I'm sure you will see that interchange built by say, 2050?

DOT is always so behind. They will probably add a lane or two to I40 by 2020, but 6 years from now by then that will not be enough. It's like all the Fortify 40 crap. They are redoing the entire highway, but not adding a single lane. They already need an additional lane in some areas. The stretch between South Saunders and Gorman on I40W in the morning is getting worse every day. Today it was about 3-4 miles of solid bumper to bumper, just due to congestion. They will finish Fortify in about 2 years or so, then maybe 2-4 years later they will come back and add in a lane, but it will not be enough, as by then they will need 2-3 more lanes.

DOT's own figures show an estimated minimum increase of 25-30% more cars over the next 20 years on I40 in the Garner area.

I work in RTP and commute every day from Government/42. I wish they would either get 540 built from Knightdale down to Cornwallis or I40 or from I40 to Holly Springs. I would take either, they would decrease my commute by 10-15 minutes on the average day. Some days when it is bad traffic, I take the new 540 down to US 1 and then 1010 over to 4042. Believe it or not, It is only 3 miles longer than taking I40 all the way, and that takes about 10 minutes longer when there is zero traffic on I40. When there is traffic, it's actually faster.

::rant over::

I hate traffic, I thought I moved away from it when I moved down here from NY/NJ many years ago, but it followed me. :(

13. Wraunch

Wraunch Well-Known Member

The traffic didn't follow you. Honestly you are most likely part of what created it. The great southern migration from NY/NJ/PA that has been going on for oh say 20 years has created this.

14. jesse82nc

Well when the taxes here are 10% of what I paid in NJ, that certainly helps make the decision for people to move south.

But poor planning and execution of the DOT projects does not help with traffic either. They should know that the area is going to grow, especially our area since it is so much cheaper than most of the Triangle.

At this point, I would easily pay for a toll road to shorten my commute. On a busy afternoon it takes me 75-90+ minutes to go 35 miles. If I could do that in 30-35 minutes for $5/day I would easily pay that. Saving me an hour plus a day for $5-10 is well worth my time when I consider my salary is many orders of magnitude more than that.

15. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

In cruising by that intersection at 42/Cornwallis, I saw a sign posted,
    "Spectators watch at your own risk". What the heck ... is Sheetz such a big deal that they have people standing out there watching anxiously for it to open and block traffic at yet another intersection. I don't know, I just found this to be funny.

16. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Some of the people I have spoken with from the DOT have indicated that they cannot get funding for new/expanded roads until the old roads are a certain level above capacity. There are just so many state maintained roads and not enough money set aside to do it all.

17. tukasiya

tukasiya Well-Known Member

If you think that the Fortify 40 crap is bad now, wait until they start on the other side headed west towards Cary. There will be the 2 left-side lanes of I-40 W. emptying into fewer lanes on I-440 than there are now. And that will last for 2 years. That should be fun.

18. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Fortify is only a project because the of something with the concrete having a reaction and was deteriorating. They need to do a lot in our area including Hwy 42 towards Clayton. The road is horrible and Clayton is cramming apartments, Sheetz, and hospitals/medical centers. The really sad thing is these projects get approval based on whether or not the road can handle the extra traffic - which means someone actually looks at this and says, "Sure, why not?". This is where I feel developers need to do a larger share.

And as for taxes being so much lower than up north, you can start to see the folly in that. Less taxes bring more people, more people brings bigger problems, more people certainly bring more tax revenue, but is it enough to support the infrastructure needs that come with higher populations - I think we are seeing that it is not.

19. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Does this work for you? http://my40ride.com/

I saw a smaller van on the road the other day. That must have been their little emergency van for when you need to get home in middle of the day.

20. jesse82nc

You have got to be kidding? That website says the bus will take 2 hours and 24 minutes for me to get to work in the morning.

35.1 mi — about 2 hours 24 mins
    Drive/Taxi to Cleveland Crossings Park-and-Ride
    About 9 mins
    Cleveland Crossings Park-and-Ride
    jcxBus towards Raleigh
    7:00am–7:50am (50 mins, 2 stops)
    Service run by Triangle Transit
    Blount St at Moore Square Transit Station
    Walk to Moore Square Transit Station
    About 1 min
    Moore Square Transit Station
    105Bus towards Regional Transit Center