Phone update

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by kaci, Aug 2, 2013.

1. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Ok, so as of today i am finally able to get the phone update discount. Here's my challenge, which phone to go with, i typically keep my phones for at least 2 years, the Evo 4g i have actually had for 4 years so i need to try to find a really good phone. i have been told i should go with an iphone since i have an ipad and they can link but i kinda like having the option of android too. What phone do you have and why do you love it?

2. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

I just got out from under Verizon's Mighty thumb. I got a Boost Mobile phone. It's not a real fancy one, but has a lot of features, like forward facing camera, panoramic picture capability, video chat (thru skype and such). And for 55 a month (30 cheaper than I was paying) and get unlimited everything, I'll take it.

Also, I bought it at Best Buy, and for 20.00 more, I have a one year unconditional warranty on the phone. VZW charged 5 bucks a month, or 60/yr, and then on top of that I had to pay another 50.00 to get a new phone. This plan says I can get the value I paid for the phone (which was price matched) for either a replacement, or a different one if it is not available
    Yes, I had to pay for the phone itself, but I'm not in a contract, so if times get tougher, I don't have to worry about falling behind or getting late fees. And with Boost, every 6 months you pay on time, you subtract $5.00 from your bill. So in 6 months, it's cheaper yet. That's another gallon of milk or gas for the family!

And if you need the High Tech like the Galaxy S3 or S4, Boost has them available.

3. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I realize this is a little late for the OP, but rather than create a new thread:

Just got a Samsung Galaxy 5 a couple of weeks ago and love it. The new water resistant feature is great, I was doing some power-washing this last weekend and forgot I had my phone on me and the thing performed flawlessly. Also important for me is that it has a removable battery.

Screen is beautiful and worked with these old eyes.

4. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Well that's great news Hughey,,

5. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Republic Wireless is the way to go! Local company (Cary, NC). Here it is in a nutshell:

1) No contract
    2) Unlimited everything
    3) Good Phones
    4) No B.S. Period.
    5) Plans starting at $5 a month and going to $40 depending on what you need. See plans here

Main drawback for you is you'll have to give up your phone discount, which is how 'big cell' gets your money anyway. You have to buy a RW phone outright ($150 - $300), but at $25 a month you'll make it back real quick in savings. I kicked Verizon and T-Mobile to the curb about two years ago. I have saved $600 in two years on cell phones bills.

They may still have a referral program, where I can save you $20. PM me if interested.

6. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

I've been on Straight Talk for about 6 months. I have a Nexus 5 I got straight from Google, and it costs me $45/month for unlimited talk, text, and data. Data speeds have been on par with what I had with Verizon previously.

7. siameselover

siameselover Well-Known Member

Totally agree. I have never been able to afford a smartphone until i got rw. the referral program is available again. i have the moto x and love it

8. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

Looking at their coverage map, it seems to be quite limited. Have you found that you can make a call pretty much anywhere that you could with other plans? I wouldn't want to get back in to a situation where I have to decide if I'm roaming or not. Do you know how that works?

9. elims

elims Well-Known Member

I do like my Moto X! I hate how big the android smartphones have gotten these days... too awkward to hold and carry around!

10. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I don't know what map you are looking at, but I'd say about 80% of the state is covered by at least 4G.

Regardless, coverage map is a bit of a misnomer for RW, because it doesn't really matter. You use Wifi wherever it is present and fall back to the Sprint network when not in Wifi range (3G or 4G depending on what plan you pay for). No roaming charges, period. Sprint has made huge upgrades to their network recently and I have never found a lapse in service beyond the usual holes way out in the country or in the mountains. Beauty of it is many people spend most of their time at home or at work near Wifi and this will only get more prevalent as time goes on. Why pay for Wifi at home AND a data plan from your mobile phone company?

11. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

Hubby and I have been with Straight Talk for quite a while now...maybe 1.5-2 yrs and LOVE it...price and service are both spot-on!

12. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I was looking at their map, but beyond NC. Hopefully I am looking at it wrong, my concern is whether cell service will available while travelling (in a car, with no wifi).

13. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Since I have been on RW, I have traveled to Williamsburg, Savannah, Phoenix, Orlando, and all over NC (Morehead City, Asheville, Charlotte, Greensboro). Have not had a problem. I did a lot of research on RW and was a beta tester of their product (so I get 10% off plans for lifetime). The early stages were a bit rough, but they have all the kinks worked out and are in full release with much better phones. I even saw a kiosk at a college bookstore recently.

It is also a local company that has a great culture. Keep in mind that they do not have stores and much of the customer support is virtual, but even that is beyond compare to the other guys.

14. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Once I graduate and start back working full time I want to upgrade my phone and have the ability to start paying for it again. My friend has been so awesome keeping me on her plan. It's now time once I am done with school to start paying her back.

I know I want a smart phone but don't know which type to get.

15. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

There are so many to choose from. Don't fall for the latest whiz-bang features, but do make sure it is running (or capable of running) latest OS whether that be apple or android. Make sure it has decent memory. Any middle of the road phone is fine. The Motos have been good to us and they released the Moto G which is a good, stable starter phone for a round $150, I think.

16. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Thanks

17. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I agree with you, it has been over 5 years since I worked for Verizon so that no longer ties me to them, but no one else seems to have the coverage they do.

I would be willing to pay twice what I do now if the whole USA was covered.

Well actually about $50 more I am already paying close to $200 a month.

18. spy109

spy109 Well-Known Member

Also, don't forget the main reason RW exist is for Wifi. So anywhere you can get a wifi connection you can make / receive calls, sms, mms, etc etc. I use them and do not have the best Sprint signal at my house (sprint is the carrier they use currently for backbone) but since I have a great wifi network at my house the phone works flawlessly. AT&T and T Mobile do not have a good signal at my house either so RW was perfect for me because of this little black area I am in and the ability to seamlessly use the wifi.

19. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I can typically only get wifi in the hotel rooms at night.

20. Kdog

Kdog Well-Known Member

sprint vs verizon

Got verizon for years back to the alltel days, great coverage but getting $$. Sprint is offering a better deal, new phones and an extra line for my son for cheaper then verizon. I heard Sprint coeverage is not that good, any opinions on this?