JoCo wants your opinion on solid waste tax

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Harvey, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

2. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

So instead of the people that use the trash service paying for it, they want to charge everyone, regardless of their use?

I would prefer to continue paying for my decal, even if it would save me money. I wouldn't think it would be fair to have my neighbors pay twice if they have a private company pickup their trash.

3. Melynda

Melynda Well-Known Member

:iagree:

4. kevinsmithii

kevinsmithii Well-Known Member

I don't think we would save money if they charged everyone. I bet they would add a 65 dollar charge to every tax bill and they would only want more every year hereafter.

5. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

It is not clear if they would charge everyone or if you would elect to have this included on your bill. I am sure they are looking at ways to save money through administration of the program, but the possibility that they charge everyone is real as well. Hence the meeting.

6. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

If that is the route they went, it would be quite a stretch for them to charge every citizen the full $65. I am sure what you would see is something like a $5-$10 fee added to your property bill. However, if they do this then anyone can use the dump facilities whenever they want and they could see an increase in use and then raise rates again to keep up with demand for services.

Persoanlly, I think it is worth the extra $150 a year for trash to be picked up at my curbside. Overall, I pay $220 a year for trash only and take my recycling to the convenience center every couple of weeks.

7. ECAVE

ECAVE Well-Known Member

^^^Agree

8. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

Along with double charging homeowners, since renters do not pay a property tax bill to the county, how would they be charged if they wanted to use the landfill?

They should just leave things the way they are.

9. spy109

spy109 Well-Known Member

Pretty sure what will happen in the end is two possibilities. They will charge the fee for a decal if you want to use it AND raise the property tax to help fund it OR simply raise property taxes saying it is for the trash but continue to raise it so that in the end everyone is paying 100's more after a 5 - 10 years and say it is for the trash.

10. cranky

cranky Well-Known Member

And lose the warm fuzzy feeling I get from my neighbors that store three months worth of trash in their shed, or the other ones who burn theirs (but only on nice nights when we are outside too). Hmm, I think I'll add the $65 to my existing private trash bill and add an extra $100 and have the county pickup at the curb for all residents.

Just pay the dump fee and take the trash every week like the good neighbors.

11. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

+1

12. kevinsmithii

Enforce rules

they have rules regarding construction trash and yard waste. If they would enforce these as they pertain to the trash sites and the landfill they might find some of the much needed revenue increase.
    I was at the landfill this morning and saw several trailers of yard waste waved around, supposed one pickup load per week. I've seen plenty of people throw away construction at the trash sites.

13. kevinsmithii

Does anyone know the outcome of this subject? I could not see anywhere in the minutes that this was discussed.

14. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

one thing that ticks me off is the guy makes me to throw my used cat litter in the other dumpster. I don't mind doing that but when I see him just sitting on his back side while people put living room recliners into the compactor.

15. Straitlover

Straitlover Well-Known Member

I wqnt no changes at all unless they are going to make it more covenient for me to use. I have to leave my house by 7:30 AM to make it to work in Raleigh, so I can't go in the morning. I do not make it back home before 7 PM, so I can't go after work. They are not open on Sundays, so the only time I can go in on Saturday, and I am gone most weekends to take care of my mother (I take my trash with me to the convenience center there - Robeson Co). I do buy a sticker for the very few times I get to use the place.

Robeson Co's centers are open 7-7 M-F, 7-5 Sat and 1-6 Sun. Why can't they do that here???