Legislating what we can wear?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ricks99, Aug 18, 2014.

1. ricks99

ricks99 Well-Known Member

Anyone else see this item to be discussed by the Selma Town Council?

http://bit.ly/1ArH1Q0

Anyone concerned about the slipperly slope this may lead to?

2. molly2008

molly2008 Well-Known Member

Not especially.

3. spy109

spy109 Well-Known Member

Looks pretty oppressive to me and a big waste of the counsel's time. If they have all this free time sounds like they need to be replaced.

4. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

wear your pants up around your waist like they were designed to be worn and not half way down your a$$ and I don't see any problems.

5. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

While I don't care to see a person's underwear in public ever, I think this is going overboard. Surely they have more important issues at hand to take care of than this.

Sherry

6. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Such an ordinance has been deemed unconstitutional by more than one city/town attrorney when consulted. I would be surprised if any attorney were to suggest otherwise.

7. Wayne Stollings

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/11530365/#TY6sfPoHsQefJzZi.99

Issuing fines to people wearing saggy pants is unconstitutional, Dunn City Attorney P. Tilghman Pope said Tuesday evening as the City Council geared up to vote on a proposed ban of the fashion statement.

In July, Mayor Pro Tem Carnell Robinson proposed an ordinance banning saggy pants in an effort to clean up the city's image. Now he plans to lobby the North Carolina General Assembly and local lawmakers to see what can be done about men who wear their pants so low that their underwear is visible.

8. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

Yep, it's hard to legislate decency.

When the constitution was written, people understood the difference between laws and morals. Anyone walking around with their pants around their knees would have been properly dealt with.

9. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

The slippery slope begins when legislating decency and not allowing people to go to Walmart in their Sunday best.

[​IMG]

10. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

Somebody call Obama and Holder. This is something they'd jump on. Right up their alley.

11. Wayne Stollings

Nah, it is more up the alley of the ACLU than the feds.

12. ricks99

ricks99 Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to hear the council's rationale behind this, and why they think it is necessary.

If their concern centers around people "exposing" themselves, then (IMHO) this is already covered under existing obscenity laws.

If they're trying to "clean up" Selma's image... well... there are a lot better ideas.

What a waste of time and effort.

13. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter Well-Known Member

Who in their right mind would go to downtown Selma?

14. barney726

barney726 Well-Known Member

+ 1

15. tukasiya

tukasiya Well-Known Member

I'll bet it stinks too.

[​IMG]

16. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

Thanks for the laugh.

17. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

18. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

First place my mom and dad always want to go when in town. They love the antique stores. When Jr was little, we would go to downtown Selma on a Saturday, walk around, get ice cream then walk to the train station to wait for a train to go by and see the caboose.

19. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

If I owned a business and someone came in looking like that and they were looking for a job I sure as heck would not hire him. I don't care what the law says.