Cornwallis and 42

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by bissielizzie, Jun 14, 2013.

1. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

This may have already been asked and answered, so sorry if that's the case.
    What has happened to the construction on the corner? Everything was moving along at a really fast pace and then dead stop. Anyone know the story?

2. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

There is a 'build to suit' type sign out front now. It seems to me one of two things happened:

1) A developer prepped the land hoping to attract a builder/tenants, or

2) Whoever was originally developing the project got this far and crapped out.

3. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

Thanks we must have missed this sign.

4. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

The large farther back lot to the East of the cleared land is for a Sheetz being built towards the end of the year. The part closer to the corner is about 10 smaller lots, each with a standalone building. Partially Commercial, partially Retail.

5. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

Sheetz @ NC 42 & Cornwallis to be starting in March opening in August.

6. markfnc

Sheetz @ NC 42 & Cornwallis to be starting in March opening in August.

7. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I find it rather dumb and unnecessary to have two Sheetz withing 4 miles of each other.

8. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

Just like we need two Auto Zone's within 4 miles, or two Hess Stations across the street?

I think it's more for the different flows of traffic. Some people turn up Cornwallis and go to Raynor Rd. Those are more likely to stop at sheetz at 42/cornwallis (and would likely never pass up the Amelia church one) and those that travel to Clayton, or live in the coming apartments, would use the Amelia church location. It's all just demographics and traffic flow.

9. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I get that, but some of it comes down to proper zoning and not allowing so many things of the same use within a certain distance. For example, the two Hess stations you speak of were not always both Hess stations. The one by Cracker Barrel was something else until it went belly up (no doubt due to too much competition). Hess took it over in a smart move because they are the only two on that side of I-40.

10. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Long story short

I guess you can say that 42 will be full of SHEETZ :)

But I had seen years ago on DOT's site that they were going to widen 42 all the way from 50 to 70. But the last time I looked I couldn't find it again

11. jesse82nc

Last I saw that is still the plan, but like 5-10 years out. 2 lanes each way from 70 to 50. I think the focus first was on the section from 40 to 70 bypass, then later to 70 business, the last from 40 to 50. And they are supposed to replace the bridge over 40 at some point, and I think widen it a little bit.

12. Rockyv58

If I remember correctly the bridge over 40 was to become a SPUI, but before they could even do that, they have to make where Cornwallis crosses over I-40 an exit. I wonder if that is why they went and rebuilt the two bridges on Cornwallis.

13. kevinsmithii

kevinsmithii Well-Known Member

There is one at 401 and 1010, one just pass Wake Tech on 401 and one on 401 just as you get into Fuquay.

They will be like McDonalds, one on every street corner.

14. jesse82nc

Yea what I remember from reading about it a while back, they would have to close the 42 bridge over 40 for some time to replace it and change the design. And that would be a huge inconvenience to the area, so they were considering different options and one was to create a new exit at Cornwallis.

15. lgb0250

lgb0250 Well-Known Member

Finally looks like they are getting ready to start. Today is the first type of action I've seen on that corner in months.

16. markfnc

Job bid today. Const to start in March. Work going on now woudl be developer of the site to prep for the bldg.

17. silverdevil

silverdevil Active Member

I rode by Sheetz this morning. It looks like they are 2-3 weeks away from opening. They have sign about the Sheetz sign that says "Cornwallis Commons". I assume that's going to be the name of the development out there. Nothing else much going on the land behind it.
    I notice a bunch of construction vehicles on the land of the proposed shopping center across the Exxon station.

18. 26.2

26.2 Well-Known Member

This one has a drive through window open 24/7 as well.

19. Wraunch

Wraunch Well-Known Member

I would love to get a grocery store and a restaurant across from that Exxon! Come on Publix make it happen!!!

20. Rockyv58

:iagree: