Internet

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by bostonredhead, Sep 3, 2014.

1. bostonredhead

bostonredhead Well-Known Member

I have a question about Internet. My plan with TWC went up about 33%, so I took a look at their website to figure out what plan I want to shoot for when I call them.

Question: Is it really possible for cable companies to push a certain speed of service out to their customers? The plans range from (download speed) "up to 2mbps" to "up to 50mbps" with a cost of $15/month vs. 65. Is there REALLY a difference in speed or is that just marketing hype?

2. trev47

trev47 Well-Known Member

There is definitely a difference in speed. The cable company can and does set the speed to your modem. Remember that in order to get the faster speeds you may need to change your modem to a newer version with docsis 3.0 support. If you are interested in upgrading make sure to ask if your current modem will support the higher speeds.

3. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

:lol:
    it's bandwidth throttling. They can burst up to the guaranteed speed but chances are you will never hit that speed because your equipment may not handle those speeds. You are only as strong as your weakest piece of equipment after the demark at you home.

4. rntobe

rntobe Well-Known Member

i went out to twitter to TWCHELP (I think that was the name). they called me the next day and offered to keep me at the old rate for 12 months... its a shame I have to do this every yr or 2 yrs... but it saves money!