70 bypass at 40

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by jesse82nc, Sep 2, 2014.

1. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

It bothers me so much every morning when I see people traveling west on the 70 bypass getting off onto 40 west. Every morning there's at least 1 or 2 people that decide the bumper to bumper backup on the 70 ramp is too much for them so they decide to drive the half mile or so down the shoulder/permanently closed right lane to avoid it. Only to have to merge back in on 40 and cause more traffic. I just wish one day there would be a state trooper sitting there to catch them.

And at a completely separate location but even worse, last week there was a lot of traffic coming east on 40 between rock quarry and business 70 (ok that's really every day, right?), and traffic was standing still, so some idiot in a truck decides it's too much for him, so he pulls out onto the median and drives about 70 mph down the grass past every one.

Where are the cops when you need one?

/rant over

2. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

I agree. Also there are way too many drivers not stopping for red lights. However we would have to have a "zillion" additional law enforcement officers to catch all violators.

3. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

The other things I see all too often (on Cleveland Sc rd) is people using center turn lanes to pass people and, people don't slow down for people turning right, instead they swerve around them - which can be very dangerous when traffic is coming in the opposite direction!! I've seen one wreck and I myself was almost hit by someone doing this!!!:evil:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  4. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

On Friday I was coming home from Wal-mart on 42 going up towards Cornwallis. There had been a wreck up passed the first bridge. Everyone was sitting patiently to get around (or were turning around to go back over 40). And of course there were those A holes who thought they were so smart by passing people on the right lane and merging in at the last moment, It got to the point where I sat myself and my vehicle between the two lanes making it impossible for two A holes to try to do that. Just wish I had an old 'beater' vehicle to do that with.

5. jesse82nc

I do that with my big, lifted truck sometimes when I am on the 70 bypass in traffic waiting to get on 40. I just drive half in the shoulder, although I have still had people go around me to keep driving on the shoulder. I usually watch my mirror and when I see someone coming down it, I pull out further into the shoulder. Once a guy drove so far over to get around me that he was on the grass. But usually I am in my new car and don't want to drive that on the shoulder.

6. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

That's why I wish I had an old 'beater' car. One that can be hit or hit, in just such a situation.

7. Sdaanimal

Sdaanimal Well-Known Member

I do this, too, with our F-250. This is my pet peeve - people who get into disappearing lanes speed up, then cut off people trying to get back in the proper lane. If my obnoxious driving down the middle of 2 lanes doesn't stop them, I speed up to keep them from cutting me off. Yes, I behave like a juvenile, but I figured I'll win...watch me. The truck is a '99 and in great shape so I am risking someone hitting it, but believe me, they will have more damage than I will. This is why I have "testicular fortitude" hanging under my truck :p

8. certdude

certdude Well-Known Member

9. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Yes, it comes down to common sense. One car from each lane, take turns. Leave space between you and the car in front of you so that cars from the other lane can merge safely and traffic will not stop. Sure it may slow down, of course, but IT WILL NOT STOP if you leave space and let people in.

The bigger problem in heavy traffic is not people waiting until last minute to merge, it is those people who 'gun it' and race to tailgate the car in front of them only to have to hit the brakes and come to a complete stop. Slow and steady wins the race and will eventually 'heal' the traffic jam. I would rather be moving a steady 10 - 20 miles per hour than stop and go.

10. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

I get discouraged when people in front of me are on cellphones in hard traffic or texting. Then leave about 4 car lengths in front of them. Maybe some of you who drive slow need to pull over since traffic scares you or are too busy to drive?? Just sayin....and asking

11. jesse82nc

It's against the law to hold a cellphone and use it while driving, yet roughly 50% of people do it still. Next time you are driving, count how many do it and how many don't. It's crazy. I wish the police would enforce that one more.

12. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

Since when? I knew that other states had this law, but I was not aware of this in NC other than for teenagers.

13. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

No, it is not against the in N.C. to hold a cellphone and use it while driving.

Sherry

http://www.dmv.org/nc-north-carolina/safety-laws.php

Cell Phones and Texting

Cell phone restrictions:

All drivers under 18 are banned from using cell phones while driving. Dialing 911 in the case of an emergency is the lone exception.
    School bus drivers are prohibited from using cell phones.

Texting restrictions:

All drivers are banned from texting while behind the wheel.

14. molly2008

molly2008 Well-Known Member

Since never. She is wrong. It is not currently illegal to use a cell phone while driving in NC.

It is in VA..........but not here.