political pit question?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Rockyv58, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

These may be questions for the pit but I don't want to make it political.

1. Why do news organizations call them 'isis' and government people call them 'isil'?

2. I hear that isis has captured a lot of our military equipment that was left behind for Iraq to use. We do that all the time leave our equipment behind. Why not install some sort of kill switch in them so if the equipment is captured and used by the enemy that we can remotely kill it to make it totally useless?

2. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

I heard ISIS stands for "Islamic State of Iraq & Syria"
    ISIL "Islamic State of Iraq & Levant"

A non politcal pit version is that Levant is more broad based than Syria. A political pit version might say that Obama has directed everyone to say ISIL instead of ISIS to not remind anyone of the red line in the sand in Syria.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_State_of_Iraq_and_the_Levant

3. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

That red line washed out during the first rainfall after it's was marked. They now don't remember anything.

4. BuzzMyMonkey

Oh and by the way,, as you so enjoy doing.
    This subject doesn't belong on this side. You of all people should know this.

Take it to the pit.

5. Doc Savage

Doc Savage Member

You got a smile from the Doc, which isn't easy.

6. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Thank you captain Obvious :)

7. Sdaanimal

Sdaanimal Well-Known Member

To be fair, it was a general question about what an acronym meant. I didn't know, either, and I don't want to sign up for the political hot mess just to find out. Yes, I could look it up on the internet, but I am glad I know now because I read about it here. Thanks, Rocky. :)

8. BuzzMyMonkey

Well to be right don't label it political pit on the soft side of the fence. Otherwise one can expect the unexpected. A simple ISIS / ISIL. What's the difference of the two would have sufficed, but hey bait a hook drop it in see what's there to catch.

Urkel didn't know the difference till his daughter told him.

Thanks Rocky