Found a great deli and bakery

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by bissielizzie, Sep 13, 2014.

1. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

Just had to share this Bagels Plus in Fuquay Varina not far from Windsor Point has such great food and service. They have all house made pastries, bagels and breads. They serve Boar's Head meats and cheese. They have dinner specials - the catfish sounded awesome, they have an ice cream counter and they serve breakfast. The owner is from NY. So everyone that's been craving what they miss, I think we found it.
    They are at 100 Dickens Rd. FQ 919-762-5006

2. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

What is that the way to get back to I-95 North? :jester:

Just kidding

3. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

Big Steve's Bagels and Deli

I am sure they are probably very good but Fuquay is a drive unless you are there for other reason. I will stick with Big Steve's Bagels and Deli. It does not get any better!

4. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I heard somewhere... that (although I like Big Steves) only their plain bagels are fresh. All the flavored ones are pre-made/frozen and they just cook them. I still go there, its the closest thing to a real bagel without going to Raleigh or Cary. I always did wonder how such a small place could keep up with such a variety of bagels & pastries though.... so I don't think I was really surprised when I heard that. I'd love to be wrong on that if anyone knows otherwise!

However, If I'm in Cary... NYBDII (New York Bagel & Deli 2) in the Walmart shopping center at the corner of Kildaire & Tryon Rds in Cary is off the chain for bagels and NY Style deli sandwiches.

In response to the OP, when I'm in Fuquay again, I definitely will check out Bagels Plus. It's always nice to have more options!

5. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I know Steve is usually in by about 3-3:30am making bagels.

6. gcoats3

Better experience than we had at NYBDII. They close at 4:00 PM. We walked in at 3:34 PM one afternoon and ordered a bagel sandwich for dine in. We were advised only take out at that time of day. Bagel tasted like it had been cooked 2-3 days before. We never returned.
    Hard for me to believe Steve is cooking frozen bagels. But someone on this board would know.

7. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I've been in there around that time of day too, the owner gave me an extra 1/2 dozen bagels. I didn't really need a dozen bagels, but I brought them home and cut them in half, put them in air tight freezer bags... toast them right out of the freezer and they were almost as good as fresh toasted!

8. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

There is a new deli on Hwy 70, across from Wal-Mart, behind Hardees and down from Adam and Eve. Had their Italian sub and to be honest, it was the best one i have had this side of Boondini's out on Six Forks. Only made it there once so cant recall the name but its worth a try.

9. CraigSPL

You must be talking about Sak's

http://www.saksdeli.com/

10. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

:::snap::: Thats it.

11. fizzco

fizzco Well-Known Member

I've known about bagels + for a while & occasionally have gone out there for semolina on the weekends & some 7 layer & jelly cookies.

I've eaten @ big Steve's for years & I will say he's in there in the very early hours every morning making bagels with his son.

Everyone is entitled to there opinion, but when you talk "bad" about a place, please consider that this is a man running a tough business. I personally could never get up at that time to do anything even if it was for a red eye and go on vacation.
    So to say that he's making frozen bagels or other stuff, is mean.

Please don't misunderstand what I'm saying, but it's the man livelihood and to make false. Or untrue statements without fact & only speculation can be very damaging to someone reputation.

No, I'm not related or affiliated in any way, other then being a longtime customer.

12. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

no misunderstanding you.. but in defense of the other poster I didn't see anything wrong, bad or mean with what was said.. she made it clear it was hear say and she hoped it wasn't true and for anyone to know otherwise let us know...

13. PoohBear

PoohBear Well-Known Member

We love Big Steve's. Great bagels, Boar's Head meats, friendly and efficient staff. For sandwiches we love the onion bagels. As good as any we ever had in NYC metro area and believe me when I say we have devoured a lot of bagels. I don't believe the garlic bagel dough has been frozen but if it has it does not affect the taste and freshness at Big Steve's in our opinion. See you soon!

14. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I love their egg everything bagels myself. I know they get their knishes from the same distributor who sells them to the street vendors in NYC. My pic is even up on the wall. He put my face on Jeff Bridges body from the movie "the big lebowski"

15. fizzco

fizzco Well-Known Member

I was validating her.
    That's what I meant. Re-reading it, it doesn't
    Come across that way.

16. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Thank you :)

17. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Really... you said I was mean and said "bad" things. If I was saying bad things, it would have been something like I saw them buying bagels at Food Lion and putting them in their bakery cases. As was pointed out, I said "i heard....." and was looking for clarification and was hoping to be told I was wrong. I guess no one knows for sure, even if he is there at 3:30 a.m., and if what I heard is correct, it's got to be a process to bake that many varieties of raw dough frozen bagels.

Something like this.. is what I was referring to.

http://www.aandsbagels.com/doughraw.htm

http://www.aandsbagels.com/baking.htm

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  18. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Fair and balanced here.

19. gcoats3

Tried their Philly CheeseSteak. It was good but overpriced compared to American Hero who has a steak and cheese, chips and fountain drink (free refills) for under $6.00. Sak's was $9.09 with a bottled water. No fountain drinks.
    Staff was friendly and efficient. Sak's location will make it very hard for this deli to succeed.

20. CraigSPL

haven't been in there in a few weeks but they used to have a fountain drink machine.