Property Taxes in JoCo

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Wraunch, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Wraunch

Wraunch Well-Known Member

Any idea why the rates are so high in JoCo? I recently received a client's property tax bill for his house in N. Raleigh that is worth $150K more than mine and he is paying $300 less per yr than me. What am I missing here? I mean I still pay separately for my private trash pickup which he doesn't pay for either. Could someone clue me in?

2. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Many of the services that are municipally supplied are ones we pay out of pocket. I would wager the LEO/citizen ratio is probably higher for him than us, i.e. more LEOs per 100 persons than we have. (Not a slam against the fine folks who wear the badge, as they are far outnumbered).

Trash service is one of those 'taxes' that we pay one way or another. 60 bucks for a sticker to take stuff to dump, plus cost of gas and time to go there an back, versus those service being supplied municipally, yet a small portion of your taxes.

3. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

My guess is density. Higher tax base (more homes, residents, etc.) the lower your tax rate can be because more people are paying into it. You also have a more area covered by municipal boundaries and they provide services for the taxes paid to them.

4. Wraunch

Wraunch Well-Known Member

Just seems like people might not be getting the real "deals" they think by living further out. Of course that doesn't account for things like lower price per sq ft and larger lots for the money but the tax rate seems to be out of whack or we have a ton of waste in the county budget.

5. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

If you really want the true answer look no further than all the new schools built to accommodate the growth.

6. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

But Wake county is growing faster and still has lower taxes ......

7. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

They all charge too much! All taxes should be cut.... and so should the spending.

Good Luck as more and more take!

8. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Sure, why not?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh, yeah. That's why.
    [​IMG]

9. spy109

spy109 Well-Known Member

With the images I can see... this is a bad argument. With more ppl moving here that means more taxes are paid.... Makes no sense to raise the taxes due to population growth as that new population is paying taxes.

10. Wayne Stollings

There has to be an investment in the infrastructure to cover the services for the new people, which will be paid back by the increase in tax base later on.

For example if 1000 families with 2 children each move into the area and pay $2000.00 a year in property taxes, the income of $2,000,000.00 would not cover just the cost of two new school buildings needed for those children, much less the new teachers, etc. but the continued payment would eventually cover the costs and more if no other expansions were to be needed.

11. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

YEP

12. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

It has been shown over and over that this is not sustainable. You are seeing it now. Do you honestly think the solution to overcrowding schools, congested roads, overflowing landfills is to bring more people in and have them pay the exact same tax rate? If you do this, you have your finger in the mus-My Friend and you are always playing catch-up!

13. spy109

spy109 Well-Known Member

You lost me. Didn't we just vote on a bond to help take care of the schools for just this reason? Can the bond not just simply be paid over time with the already increasing revenue from the increased population? I don't see a need for raised taxes in this equation.

14. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

It is the liberal answer for everything. Raise taxes an no accountability for any government program. There is never any fraud pr waste in any government whether it is local, state, or Federal.

15. Wayne Stollings

Ok, say the bond was able to be paid off with just the increased taxes form these families. Who pays for the extra teachers? The buses? The support staff?

The additional taxes being paid also come with up front expenses which exceed the initial income. If you take the new taxes and pay for the new staff, etc., the bonds still have to be paid somehow and the taxes prior did not have such a large excess to cover the new bond payments so there is still a short fall.

16. Wayne Stollings

There is always fraud and waste where people are involved, be it government, business, or even churches and you will find both fraud and waste.

17. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

I agree with that, but only the government forces me to contribute to the fraud.

18. Wayne Stollings

Really? You do not purchase anything made by a business? That is very, very hard to do, especially since you are using a computer.

19. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

Heh numb nuts I can pick and choose what business to support! If I feel one is corrupt or rampant with waste I can pick another one.

Show me that option with the government short of moving! The Federal Hog is harder to move away from as they will even tax you if you renounce your citizenship

20. Wayne Stollings

Great response to make the point you have no point.

You can feel all you like, but there will be waste and fraud in all businesses because they have human employees.

Move then. Find a island with only you as an occupant and you will be comfortable with the amount of waste and fraud. There will still be a level of both but you will be comfortable with it.

Even harder to get away from a business connection. Mining your own ore to make steel is hard but mining the coal for coke in addition can be a killer .... literally.