Venting

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by bissielizzie, Oct 23, 2014.

1. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

Where to begin, what is it with all these people and these extremely loud vehicles. Some people work shifts, some people are retired, some people have been up all night with fussy children - GIVE US A BREAK. Not all of us need/want to be awake before 6AM. Some of us need to be asleep before midnight. It is a little hard when someone comes barreling into a neighborhood or leaves one when a vehicle is so loud it rouses someone from a sound sleep. And if that isn't enough, loud conversations because you don't smoke in the house, can't get a cell phone signal, so you walk the streets broadcasting your conversation and slamming vehicle doors at all hours.
    You are not living in the country people, have some consideration for others or move back to the 2+ acres you came from.

We have been hauling our own trash/recycling for years and encourage everyone to do the same. I won't even get started on what's wrong with the trash services in the area. But take some pride in your home and have some consideration for your neighbors - DON'T PILE UP YOUR TRASH AND RECYCLING IN THE OPEN BED OF YOUR TRUCK. The law requires it to be secured in a container, a kitchen trash bag doesn't qualify. And those of you with containers - why can't they be stored somewhere other than in front of your house, stuffed so full you can't close the lid.

And homes with garages, Parking on the lawn alongside the house, in the back yard, in the middle of the front yard, along the street in front of your neighbors driveway, in front of the mailbox, all really bad ideas. YOU HAVE A GARAGE USE IT FOR IT'S INTENDED PURPOSE.

It's really sad that we have raised a generation or two now that have no common sense, take no pride in their community/home, are incredibly selfish and thoughtless and consumed with having the latest and greatest at any cost. I know not everyone is that way, but in our little slice of JOCO we are seeing more and more of it and it's very sad.

Well, we feel better now. I know you thought we meant another kind of venting. Maybe someone will read this and recognize themselves and be shamed into changing for the better.

2. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Not that I don't agree with much of what you said, but I do consider JoCo to be "the country". I'm on over 2 acres, and several of my next door neighbors in my neighborhood are on 2-11 acres as well.

I have a 2 car garage (still partially under construction) and I park my two trucks on my lawn just off my driveway. Granted that is 200 feet from the road though. But that is because I park my car in the garage and I have a ton of construction materials in the driveway, and still want to leave room for when I have guests over. Also I have a sports car that makes quite a bit of noise, but I do try to keep it as quiet as possible when I drive through my neighborhood, especially at night. And I don't get any cell phone reception in my house, so when I make a call, I regularly go outside.

So while I understand where you are coming from, remember, this is not Cary. JoCo is the country. If I wanted lots of rules to follow, I would live in a neighborhood with restrictive covenants. I bought a house in the country for a reason :)

3. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

I have some neighbors whose cars are extremely loud. I've been wondering if areas have some kind of noise ordinance on vehicles.

Sherry

4. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I'd like to add to your rant

Why do people:
    A) feel the need to have BATs. Big Arse Trucks. The ones with two foot lift kits on them. It's one thing if you are in the construction field or any field that may actually need a truck that freakin' huge. Or if your name is Bob Chandler. But as a daily obnoxious driver. Can't see through them, cannot see around them. And their exhaust right at the level of my windows. I have to wonder if they have LGS (Little Guy/Gal Syndrome) or if they are trying to over compensate for something else.

B) Obnoxious car stereo bass. The type that you hear 5 cars away while sitting at a traffic light. Even if I turn my own car stereo up I can not hear it over your bass.

C) People who feel the need to speed up in the right lane and cut in at the last second while everyone else is sitting in traffic waiting to move. I'd love to have an old beater of a vehicle just so i can move on over and cut you off before you can get past.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  5. bissielizzie

Rocky, thanks totally forgot about the car stereos. Don't they have any idea how expensive hearing aids are and that insurance doesn't cover them. Hearing loss is very isolating and frustrating.

We love music and rarely pass up a concert. But we would never subject our neighbors/strangers to our passion.

It's just selfish and thoughtless behavior and it's on the rise.

B) Obnoxious car stereo bass. The type that you hear 5 cars away while sitting at a traffic light. Even if I turn my own car stereo up I can not hear it over your bass.

6. bissielizzie

Lucky you living on over 2 acres. We know this isn't Cary and we chose not to live in Cary. We aren't talking about rules it's just common courtesy and taking pride in one's community.

7. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter where you live. It is about pride in yourself and your stuff as well as respect for other people.

8. bissielizzie

EXACTLY, thank you well put.

9. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I will add to the vent list this little gem:

Taking pride in your property. Many of the homes in western JoCo (40/42 area) are starter homes or maybe a bit bigger. I cannot count the number of places that are almost in shambles (peeling paint, overgrown bushes, newspapers strewn about, saplings growing out of gutters, etc.). Take some pride in what you own or show some respect for the property of others that you rent. I was recently confronted once by someone who said their house looked like this because they were unemployed. Do you know what my response was? I said, "Great! So you have plenty of time to trim your bushes, clean your gutters and pick up the newspapers - all of which cost no money!". YOu can blame in on unemployment or chalk it up to being able to do what you want with your own property, but it boils down to laziness - pure and simple. If you want to be a red blooded American, act like you have some pride.

10. ricks99

ricks99 Well-Known Member

Sometimes all it takes is actually asking.... I had a lot of problems with folks in my neighborhood having their car music so loud that it rattled my windows! I asked them to turn it down and they did (they even apologized!).

11. pcroom

pcroom Well-Known Member

AMEN!! We have neighbors that their yards are in a mess. We are seniors and hire help to do things we can't. We live on 19 acreas wit two houses. That gives no right to distract from the neighborhood.

12. pcroom

pcroom Well-Known Member

THANK YOU HARVEY!!

13. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

As far as being awakened from a dead sleep by loud vehicles, and especially if you work nights and need to sleep during the day - try sleeping with a small fan running beside the bed. I am a light sleeper and this helps me tremendously! Also - when our son was younger and started driving, we told him that after dark he had to turn the music down and drive slower (for noise and saftey reasons, and out of courtesy for others) that if we could 'hear' him coming - he'd be on restriction!

I too agree thats is frustrating when other homeowners don't keep their property up. We don't live in a neighborhood with an HOA - but sometimes I wish we had one. Most recently the 2 houses at our subdivision entrance don't or won't mow their yard! Makes the whole neighborhood look run-down! Also our entrance sign is in need of repair. DH looked at it, is going to try and fix it some - but he says most of the wood is rotten, so it will need to be replaced eventually..........

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  14. INTHEBUFF

INTHEBUFF Well-Known Member

Just an observation here as I read. I find it very amusing that people still try to call Johnston County country. Yes, there are areas that remain for the most part country, as do areas in Wake County and other surrounding counties but having lived here for 30 years Johnston County has seen a lot of change but has always had developed areas and more in the last 10 years or so. Most people that seem to be complaining about certain issues pertaining to their neighbours live in developed areas labelled neighbourhoods, which IMHO gives them a right to complain. So, to say they need to live with these complaints because they moved to Johnston County "The Country" just seems a little contorted.

Now, if I wanted to vent about something it'd be the driver that loves to hug my bumper when it's very obvious there's a line of cars in front of me (usually 20) on a two lane road and we're all going 5-10 miles over the posted speed limit. I'd just like to know what your meaning is for being glued to my bumper or what you think I should do about the other 20 or so cars in front of me??????? Yes, this is to the silver Honda Accord that leaves about the same time I do each morning. IDIOT!!!!! News flash, I'm not going any faster and I'm not going to ride the car's bumper in front of me because you have a fire under your a_ _ and are probably one of those people who is constantly late for work, set the alarm about 30 minutes early you fool. Whew, feel better. Done venting.

15. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

My neighborhood has about 75 homes, all on over an acre, but when you leave the neighborhood, there is all forests and cow pastures. I consider that the country still. I grew up in the northeast, so to me, when I live next door to about 100 acres of cow pasture, that's the country.

As for driving, what gets me the most is how slow people drive on 42. The speed limit is 55 mph between the hospital and walmart. Regularly I get stuck behind someone doing only 35-40 mph for no reason at all. And don't even get me started about the people driving their scooters at 25 up the hills on 42. Those should not even be allowed on the road.

16. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Busy/Crowded: City > Suburbs > Country

We live in the suburbs now. It is Sub-Urban sprawl that brings subdivisions and neighborhoods and with it concern for property values, congestion, etc. We reap what we sow, so let's take care of what we own and think about our actions.

17. INTHEBUFF

INTHEBUFF Well-Known Member

I guess it's relative to one's perception of the term "country." I've lived in 14 different states and many out west would consider Johnston County urban sprawl. Any who, it's one's opinion. As for the scooters pooters, they need to be licensed and made to have insurance liability if using the roads, but I imagine that's another can of worms, but the runners who seem to think 7:00 a.m. is a smart time to run just blow my mind. I usually meet head on with this runner in Cary running against traffic two or three times per week, on a secondary very narrow two lane road with hills and when he meets a car he doesn't get off the road, doesn't budge an inch, just continues to run against traffic. My husband said if it comes down to hitting him or head on with another car, hitting him would be a better outcome than head on into another car. I'd rather avoid either one, so I try and keep an eye out for this arrogant fool.