Water piping question?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ddrdan, Nov 10, 2014.

1. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

I can't locate a leak spot in my main water line. The line comes across a hill and the water is surfacing down slope. I'd first have to dig around just to find the line itself and then chase dig it to the leak.

I'm just going to put in a new water line from the main/meter to the house. I've checked a few web sources but getting conflicting info. Any plumbers in the group that could answer these questions?

1. Line will be 1" dia. x 235 feet long. Max from main is never over 60 PSI at the meter. I'll bed it in sand. What choices do I have in roll pipe types?

2. Will "sharkbite" joints work underground? I'll should only need 1 joint.

3. Will 16" depth meet the frost line here?

I'm putting a detection wire this time. If the original plumber had done that, I wouldn't be replacing it. I'd be locating the old one & repairing it.

2. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Sharkbite joints are certified for underground use, but the local codes may not approve them.

The frost line for commercial buildings in Raleigh is 12" so I would think you would be good at 16", but again there may be a local code requirement.

3. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

You can find a leak detection company that should be able to pinpoint it. They can locate pinhole leaks 4' deep on main lines. Although I'm not sure if they need to know where your line runs to find it. They use a box with headphones maybe they can follow the sound of running water from meter.
    Personally I'd go 18-24" deep if you did decide to replace it.

4. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

That's mainly what I'm looking for, the least allowable in "code" for the pipe type and the depth.

5. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Thanks

The leak detection was the first thing I thought of too. I checked for pricing on Friday. Best price I could find was $400 just to find the leak. I can rent a ditch witch, buy 300' of new pipe and joints and have it in the ground in less than 4 hours for under $400. They're sort of pricing themselves out as an option?

The witch goes 24" so I may do like you said.

6. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

That would depend on the locality. Some of the towns (and their extra-jurisdictional areas) have their own codes which differ from the county.