Affordable cell phone plan?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Vanosa, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Vanosa

Vanosa Active Member

We are currently using Sprint's coverage for 3 cell phones, and pay around $200.00 per month. Since our contract expired, we are looking for dependable, no contract, less - expensive coverage, for unlimited talk, text & data. Some ideas so far, are Boost Mobile, Tracphone, Wal-Mart's plan, and when searching these forums, people have suggested Republic Wireless, out of Cary. Have you found a plan you like a lot, and if so, why?? Thanks!

2. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I love Republic Wireless. So simple. No hassles. Great service. You have to buy the phone, but they have many options. Couldn't be happier. I pay a flat rate for unlimited everything. Done.

3. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I have a question about Republic. I read that they use Wifi first and then traditional service if wifi is unavailable. So say I'm in an office building or somewhere that has wifi available, but it is all password protected so I can't sign on. Does the phone recognize this and allow you to make calls via cellular or do you have to force it to switch over to cell service somehow?

4. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

As long as you have a cellular plan ($10, 25, or 40) it would make and receive calls via cellular.

If you opt for the $5.00 per month plan that is wifi only.

Been rocking the Republic Wireless phones/plans for like 2 years now! Works well for our family

5. IncognitO

IncognitO Well-Known Member

you would have to connect to the Wi-Fi first before it would use it so it would use your cell signal instead. My wi-fi in the office comes back sometimes that WiFi calling is blocked and it uses cellular than.
    The good news is that in my office I cant normally get a cell signal in the center of the building but wifi coverage is great.
    I use the $10 wifi only data plan and love it, if I need to travel and dont have wifi , I can temporarily upgrade to a data plan.

6. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Yep. What they said.

7. Vanosa

Vanosa Active Member

Boost Mobile

Thanks for all of the info. As favorable as Republic sounds, we need 3 phones, and can't afford $900 for just the phones at this time. I hear that Boost Mobile has $75 phones, and a rebate on top of that. Has anyone had experience with Boost Mobile?? Thanks again-

8. Vanosa

Vanosa Active Member

Cricket??

O.K., at the risk of sounding "wishy-washy," I am asking if anyone has experience with Cricket's cell phone plans. My "significant other" says that since he'd like to get away from Sprint (which also promotes Boost Mobile), then maybe we could try Cricket's, which is under Verizon, instead. Any "Cricket" users out there?? Thanks!

9. Emma Caroline

Emma Caroline Well-Known Member

StraightTalk is about 47 a month for unlimited everything. You can take your existing phone with you--the card you need to take your phone is only $4

10. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Republic has phones at $99. The Moto E is their lowest and is quite capable. I am telling you -Republic Wireless, as a company, will be the best experience you have had. The biggest hurdle I see people having when I recooment RW is that they find it easier to go a store with a Boost Mobile sign in the window and talk to a person. RW is an online purchase, they send you phone, you turn it on and you are done. Do some research.

11. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

I have been checking Republic out. I am not sure what each level of service is or means. I basically would like to be able to text message whenever and take photos occasionally. I don't know what the 3 and 4G mean. In lay person's terms, what the heck does that mean? :?:

12. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

It refers to your internet speed. In simple terms, you could say that 3G compares to DSL or dial up and 4G compares to Road Runner.

13. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

Thank you! I appreciate the explanation.

14. Straitlover

Straitlover Well-Known Member

For Republic, some areas I am in a lot are listed as voice roaming on the map (gray). Does that mean I have to pay extra if I make calls in that area?

15. IncognitO

IncognitO Well-Known Member

MVNO options PagePlus Cellular

Most of the MVNO prepaid phone plans seem to use sprint as the cellular coverage (including Republic) some of the straightTalk phones and NEt10 use Verizon but what I found out before the only true prepaid carrier to use Verizon phones and their data(that was not Verizon itself) was pageplus https://www.pagepluscellular.com/ They recently made an update that now allows 4G. I have activated several old Verizon phones on the PagePlus plan. There are several re-sellers, one online called Kitty Wireless that seems to be a big provider.
    one of my kids still uses them and it works great because Verizon was the only coverage where they lived.

16. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

$45 a month on Straight Talk for unlimited everything. T-mobile and Sprint have some good new plans now. One of them was $100 a month for 4 lines with 20GB of data and unlimited calls/texts.

17. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

No. Their current model does not bill you for roaming. That is oe of the main attractions to RW - the simplification. However, they have been looking closely at changing this on an individual basis for certain people who 'abuse the system' so to speak. Their website has a real good user forum where RW employees answer questions. This would be a real good place to start.

18. Vanosa

Vanosa Active Member

Thank-you, everyone for your personal responses; we're still considering our options, and I appreciate your input!

19. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

Hubby and I have had straight talk for a couple of years now...LOVE! Approx $48 a month for unlimited calls, text and data. NO contract. Excellent service! I can count the # of calls I have dropped the entire time we have had them on one had (for both of us)...went from Sprint with about 5 per day! ugh!

20. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Bump...anyone else looking at making a change can consider Republic Wireless. They have a whole lineup of new phones now and have made huge improvements over the past year. My bill for last month was $26 for unlimited everything 3G. They have new plans and allow phone financing. Full disclosure, I was a beta tester and I get a %10 discount for life. They are a local company as well.

Republic Wireless