Iphone 5

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Rockyv58, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Anyone have an iPhone 5? How do you like it? My step mom upgraded her phone to the iphone 6. She is willing to give me her iphone 5 32gig. She is on AT&T but I am on Verizon. Can it be switched to Verizon? Thanks

2. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member

No, it cannot be switched to Verizon. You would have to use it on AT&T, or maybe StraightTalk or T-Mobile. But definitely not Verizon.

3. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

To be sure?

4. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

Got root?

5. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

Verizon requires a CDMA device. AT&T requires GSM, so it's not compatible.

6. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

Got it. Thanks.

7. Rockyv58

CDMA and GSM are unknown terms to me :(

But how can iphone 5s be on both Verizon and on AT&T

8. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

They are built differently ... this should help you understand.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407896,00.asp

Two basic technologies in mobile phones, CDMA and GSM represent a gap you can't cross. They're the reason you can't use AT&T phones on Verizon's network and vice versa. But what does CDMA vs. GSM really mean for you?

CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access) and GSM (Global System for Mobiles) are shorthand for the two major radio systems used in cell phones. Both acronyms tend to group together a bunch of technologies run by the same entities. In this story, I'll try to explain who uses which technology and what the real differences are.

Which Carries are CDMA? Which are GSM?
    In the U.S., Sprint, Verizon and U.S. Cellular use CDMA. AT&T and T-Mobile use GSM.

That means we're mostly a CDMA country. It also means we're not part of the norm, because most of the world is GSM. The global spread of GSM came about because in 1987, Europe mandated the technology by law, and because GSM comes from an industry consortium. What we call CDMA, by and large, is owned by chipmaker Qualcomm. This made it less expensive for third parties to build GSM equipment.

9. Rockyv58

Okay I think I understand about the chips. But does Apple run two manufacturing lines? One line to put the CDMA chip in their phones and another manufacturing line to put the GSM chip in their phones?

PS. I think I may be mistaken but didn't Obama in the first year or two of his presidency sign some legislation that all phones had to be 'unlocked'?

10. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Yes, they have different model/part numbers.

Many Android phones, specifically Nexus, like the Nexus 6, will work on GSM and CDMA, they put both chips in those phones.

The bill states that after your contract is up and the phone is paid for, the carrier has to unlock the phone for you if you request them to do so.

11. Rockyv58

Since it's my step moms phone and she upgraded. Can I take it to AT&T to have it unlocked or should I have her take it to an AT&T store where she is in Florida and have them unlock it for her?

12. Wayne Stollings

One line, but can put either chip in. Think of a Ford production line for Mustangs, where some have 6 cylinder engines and other have 8 cylinder engines. The porduction run puts which ever chip in it that is called for at that time.

Unlocking is diffferent from the difference in chips because some have both types as part of their design.

13. Wayne Stollings

I was mistaken, Apple does have the dual capability too. You should be able to have it unlocked at either location.

14. lgb0250

lgb0250 Well-Known Member

An unlock request can be submitted online. https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/?#/ No need to go to any store to have it done. There is nothing physically that needs to be done to the phone. I did it with my last phone and it was a very easy process. It also brought good money on EBay selling it unlocked.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015