Moving down! What do I need to know?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by jcmdl412, Jan 9, 2015.

1. jcmdl412

jcmdl412 Member

So excited to say that we will be moving to Adams Point in the late spring/early summer. We have a son starting 4th grade next year (west view), and another who will be in 6th (cleveland middle).

So tell me, please- what should I know? Tell me everything! Where is the best pizza and Chinese? What do my boys need to know to prepare for their new schools? What else do I need to know?? We are coming from upstate NY, and I promise I will not be another obnoxious yankee.

Can't wait to be your neighbor!

2. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

There are a lot of Yankee transplants down here. I am from New Jersey originally. Have lived in the great state of Delaware, the yankee state of Florida and now I call North Cackalacky home. Welcome to the hood.

3. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

Well, We've got it all. But recommendations for Auto Repair, Brian's Auto, Across from Polenta Elementary.
    Churches are everywhere, though mine has the best church family. :mrgreen:
    Cleveland Draft house is pretty good watering hole.
    Adams Point has a great turnout for Halloween...my kids walk that neighborhood cause mine doesn't celebrate.

Traffic sucks, and they're fixing the roads in Raleigh.

When you coming in?

4. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Best Pizza in that area is La Piazza, they are in the Lowes Food shopping center at the intersection of Hwy 42 and 50.

Best Chinese food.... there isn't one. Kiss good chinese food goodbye. I'm from Mass. originally and all of our chinese food restaurants are more of a Polynesian style chinese dishes. We have pu-pu platters with sterno in the middle of the plate, scorpion bowls for drinks... none of that here. The southeast chinese restaurants are more of a Cantonese (i think) style. Dishes by the same name, are totally different! Prime example is Shrimp with Lobster Sauce. Up north its a very nice brown sauce with ground hamburg, spices, fish sauce, etc... beautiful butterflied shrimp cooked perfect set on top of it, mixed with a little fried rice.. yummy! Down here... that same dish is a white runny egg sauce and gross.

Welcome to the hood!

5. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

SCORPION BOWLS!!!! YEA

6. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter Well-Known Member

Oh great...more foreigners. Stay there.

7. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Ignore this individual, fortunately he does not represent this , or hopefully any, community.

8. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

There is minimal snow removal equipment (Cary once claimed preparation because they had "A" snow plow)which is usually allocated to the interstates first. The upside to that is they also often cancel school when snow is predicted. The downside to that is they also delay opening schools which can play havoc with work schedules. There is some kind of problem knowing how to merge and that slower traffic should stay to the right even if they are going exactly the speed limit. Ice storms seem to be more common and those screw up everyone's day because you may run out of bread and milk ... unless you hit the store before the storm.

9. Wayne Stollings

:iagree:

10. jcmdl412

jcmdl412 Member

Thank you to all the helpful posts. And someone please give me the High Plains Drifter's address so I can stop by and meet my new best friend!:ack:

11. BuzzMyMonkey

Cary actually is pretty well set up with snow removal equip and has done pretty decent in recent snow storms.

12. Wayne Stollings

I have seen quite a few contractors working on snow removal in Cary the last couple of years. Pickups with snow plow attachments that were fairly common on private vehicles where I grew up in the mountains. Whether that is the norm, I cannot say, but I did see the news release when they claimed to have "A" snow plow.

13. BuzzMyMonkey

Cary has more than A snowplow. They more than likely have in excess of 20 vehicles and equip set up for snow removal, the numbers probably higher than 20.
    Many municipalities across the country utilize contracted plowers the States also.

14. Wayne Stollings

Perhaps you should read what I wrote. I did not say that Cary currently had only A snowplow, but they had at one point claimed preparadness by having A snowplow. There was some public laughter over the claim, which I believe resulted in a change of perspective by the town leadership that is what you are discussing now.

The fact is there is a huge difference in equipment here as compared to the northern states.

15. Wayne Stollings

or even the mountains in NC .... :mrgreen:

16. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

So tell me, please- what should I know?

You asked, that's a good sign that you'll fit in but here's a start.

Be polite. Let people cross in front of you. Hold the door. Wave to your neighbor, wave back to strangers in trucks who wave. If you're in a neighborhood, don't let your dogs and cats run loose.

Don't complain about how we don't have good pizza, good drivers or good school systems.

If some transplanted New Yorker hasn't figured out how to make pizza like they have up there, then it's not on us, its on them. Spare me that it's the water. Whatever, get used to it or make your own.

The reason people can't drive is because no one is from here and everyone drives differently. Turn signals are optional. Stay out of the left lane unless you are passing (this seems to be a big issue with drivers who come from Virginia). There are teenagers trying to learn to drive on our overcrowded back roads, slow down and give them a break. We lose too many of them.

When is snows, we close - everything except for Chinese Restaurants, they live onsite so they will be open. When the sun clears all of the neighborhood streets making it safe for buses, schools will reopen. You may get a chuckle out of it at first, but we saw all of the wrecks up north last month when they got the same type of icy snow that we typically get. Get bread and milk. Determine ahead of time whether you need one loaf of bread or two. It will not be restocked for a while.

Since you're from the North, don't wear shorts in January to show us that you're used to winters in Buffalo. There are literally tens of thousands before you who have already done it. Act like you belong here.

Our schools struggle to keep up with the influx of new people. Up north, they have school taxes and teachers who make a good living, but people are broke from the high taxes. Here we have low taxes, but our teachers go years without raises. They try, they do the best they can. Instead of complaining, volunteer to help.

Hurricanes are no laughing matter. Its true, most of them stay near the coast, but it can get bad if they turn in. If there is one heading our way, prepare. There will be plenty of "How to's" offered when one is on the way. Anyone who was here in 1996 when Fran came through will agree with me.

Growing grass for a pretty lawn can be a nightmare. Do your homework.

Last and most important, don't call back to your friends and family telling them what a great place to live this is. Keep it quiet, we're almost full.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  17. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

Now THAT needs to be a "sticky" post! :cheers:

18. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Pretty much sums it up. Good job DCHTDIINY.

Sherry

19. Pepper Jack

Pepper Jack Well-Known Member

Good Job DC

20. Wayne Stollings

:iagree: