RED CROSS Blood Drive MON 2:30-7

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Kelyel, Mar 9, 2007.

1. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

A reminder please on NEXT Monday....:)

I missed the last one. I'm SERIOUSLY OVERDUE for a blood-letting!!! 8)

2. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

From WTSB:

Two Blood Drives Scheduled Locally Following Urgent Request For Blood Donations
    In response to the emergency request for blood donations, the Johnston County Chapter of the American Red Cross will hold two blood drives in the area next week.

The American Red Cross is experiencing blood and platelet donation levels in June and early July that are much lower than expectations.

The trend has been significant enough that the Red Cross last week issued an emergency request for donors with all blood types to make an appointment to give, especially O negative, A negative, B negative and platelet donors.

Locally, blood drives will take place on Sunday, July 21 from 12:30pm until 5:00pm at Maurices at 933 Town Centre Boulevard, Clayton, and on Monday, July 22 from 2:30pm until 7:00pm in the Cleveland Community at the Oakland Presbyterian Church, 8927 Cleveland Road, Clayton.

Eligible donors with types O negative, B negative and A negative blood are especially encouraged to donate and give double red cells where available. Type O negative is the universal blood type and can be transfused to anyone who needs blood. Types A negative and B negative can be transfused to Rh positive or negative patients.

On average, the Red Cross must collect almost 17,000 pints of blood every day for patients at nearly 3,000 hospitals and transfusion centers across the country.

Individuals who are 17 years of age (16 with parental permission in some states), weigh at least 110 pounds and are in generally good health may be eligible to donate blood.

If you can donate, please schedule an appointment by calling 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) or go online to redcrossblood.org for more information and to make a blood donation appointment.

3. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

Event: Community Event for BSA Pack 33, BSA Troop 33 and the Oakland Family & Cleveland Community

Description: Red Cross Blood Drive

Cleveland Rd, across form the GCAA Ball fields

When: Monday, September 16, 2013 3:00 PM - 7:00 PM

4. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

bump!

5. dgsatman

My daughter is supposed to remind me this afternoon. Hope she remembers to remind me!!! :lol:

6. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

Thank You to those that came out to donate blood.

I think about 20-25+ people donated at OPC on Monday afternoon/evening. There was a line most of the time.

I was #17 in line, with an appointment and still had to wait about 45 minutes due to an issue with the truck's generator.

I saw the crew was still at the Church at 9pm.

I know a few people got tired of the long wait - I wish there was more we could do to speed up the process of donating blood. The paperwork & check in take longer than the donation.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  7. dgsatman

I was one of at least 5 that left. I was number 16 and waited an hour and a half before I walked out. I did have a talk with the lady in charge before I left.
    If 22 is all they did, they REALLY need to put better procedures in place!!!

8. dgsatman

Kelyel, I reckon that was you sitting beside me, listening to me politely gripe.... :twisted:

9. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

I really would like to know what a Speedy blood drive looks like.... they have been SO SLOW for SO LONG. I just do not understand it. They were slow when inside with plenty of room to spread out and set up additional stations .... they were slow with the bus and slow with the Blood Truck....

Any Ideas?

10. dgsatman

How many "stations" were there in the truck? If ALL they had to do in there was draw blood, I would think each station could/should do 3-4 donations an hour.
    Move the history/finger *****/vitals part inside. As soon as a station opens up send the next one out, bag in hand. When finished, they move back inside for snacks and/or other parting gifts.

To me, 20-22 should be an unacceptably low number.

11. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

The blood truck (not a Bus) the Red Cross used this last time at Oakland Church had only 4 stations (beds), 2 computer rooms and if I saw everyone, only 4 workers. It could have been 5 blood workers, but I think only 4.

I fully agree "To me, 20-22 should be an unacceptably low number. "

12. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

The Red Cross Blood Bus will be at OPC on MONDAY 11/25, the Monday before Thanksgiving.

13. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

MONDAY JAN. 26th
    2:30-7pm
    @
    Oakland Presbyterian Church
    8927 Cleveland (School) Road
    Across from the OLD First Cleveland School
    &
    just past the Cleveland Emporium (D.R. Wells Store)

See you there!

Call for more info - 934-8481​

14. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

I was donor #16 at ~6:15pm. I thought the Blood Bus crew was faster in processing me this time. :hurray:

15. dgsatman

Almost 4 hours in, and only 15 pints collected??? That doesn't sound very efficient to me. There are (I believe) 4 donation stations on the bus, so they are averaging only about one donation per hour per station. Not good.
    I had a 4:30 appointment for which I arrived 20 minutes early. I left at 5:00, the THIRD time that I have walked out from that location. Lest you think that I have unreasonable expectations, I have given over 12 gallons of blood in my lifetime, so the donation process is not new to me. I had set a goal of 25 before I die, but sadly, I fear the Red Cross is not capable of helping toward that end, at least at that location.
    I really hope someone up the chain of command reads this and addresses the problem. It's a worthy cause, and one that I would like to continue to support as locally as possible.

16. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

BUMP! Monday at OPC. Details the same.

17. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

BUMP - Monday July 20th at Oakland Presbyterian Church
    Same usual deal - Red Cross Blood Bus

18. dgsatman

I hope it's really not "same usual deal". :(

19. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

FASTEST Blood donation ever, mind you it was HOT on the bus but the wait time was very short.

Hught likes this.
  20. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

Cleveland Community and the American Red Cross are hosting an upcoming blood drive.

Please join our lifesaving mission and schedule an appointment today!

Drive Details:
    Site: Oakland Presbyterian Church
    Address: 8927 Cleveland Road, Clayton, NC, 27520
    Room Name: Fellowship Hall
    Date: Fri May 27, 2016- -- M-A-Y --
    Time: 2:30: PM - 7:00: PM

Please help us exceed our goal by 5 units at our Memorial Holiday blood drive. The Red Cross needs more units because just as quickly as blood is coming in it is being distributed. So we are calling on all donors especially our Type O donors to answer the call. We can do this Cleveland Community!

The need for blood is constant and only volunteer donors can fulfill that need for patients in our community. Nationwide, someone needs a unit of blood every 2 to 3 seconds and most of us will need blood in our lifetime.

Thank you for supporting the American Red Cross blood program!

Hught and Auxie like this.