Please help with soccer

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by jcmdl412, Mar 1, 2015.

1. jcmdl412

jcmdl412 Member

We're moving to the area in June, and my 10 year old son is currently in a competitive u12 soccer travel league here in NY. I am trying to find something comparable, and hoping we can get him to springs tryouts. So far I've found GCAA and JUSA in this area. Does anyone have any advice in regard to either? We are looking for a year-long competitive league, but don't want to travel too far. Please let me know what you would recommend, or how the two compare. Thank you!

2. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Now you know of the myth of southern hospitality and why so many of the horror movies involve the backwoods southerners. :mrgreen: :cheers:

3. molly2008

molly2008 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Please excuse our less than hospitable neighbors. Have nothing but good things to say about JUSA. Can't speak to any others. Good luck!

4. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

:iagree:

5. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

6. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

Excuse yourself. I need no one to apologize for me. I said what I meant. Good day.

7. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Unfortunately people like this exist, fortunately they are in the minority.

8. keemom

keemom Well-Known Member

I think people from any area would be unhappy with someone like you...

9. Copperhead

Copperhead Member

Their board name should be a clue to what state of mind they are in...lmao

10. jcmdl412

jcmdl412 Member

Thank you all for the soccer info, and the proof that not everyone is a jerk.

11. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

We also have a pretty decent parks and rec league in the area. My church has an adult softball team (as do many others in the area) and it's a lot of fun. So just cause you're a grown-up doesn't mean you can't have fun too!!!
    Welcome to the 'hood!

12. cathy0517

cathy0517 Well-Known Member

I have a 13 year old daughter and we have been with JUSA for 4 years now.
    We have been very happy with JUSA and even more so now that they have added elite training for Classic teams. From the little that I have looked into other leagues I found that CASL is very expensive. JUSA tryouts are in May. Please check out their website and welcome from one New Yorker to another!:-D

13. stay-at-homer

stay-at-homer Member

I'm a volunteer coach for JUSA...at the rec level for my middle child and at the challenge level for my 9-year old. I actually started out in CASL with my first-born and switched over to JUSA when we moved from Garner to Clayton.

If you are looking into travel ball, CASL more than likely will require you to travel to far off places. Heck, their main complex in N. Raleigh is a haul depending on where you move to. About 40-45 minutes for us.

I love JUSA. They have teamed up with the Carolina Railhawks and now have Elite training 1x a week in addition to regular practices. They also have an experienced goalkeeper coach that provides around 10 or so sessions/season (when it's not raining) where all of the JUSA teams can send two of their players 2x a month in addition to regular practices.

For U9 challenge, we have played once in Fayetteville and then just once in Holly Springs and Raleigh as well. The rest have been at home due to them having a lot of fields.

I have heard good and bad things about GCAA but no first-hand experience due to being happy with JUSA. They reimburse us coaches for taking coaching classes and provide a lot of support.

Anyways, hope this helps.

14. jcmdl412

jcmdl412 Member

Thank you so much for all the advice! Looks like JUSA might be the way to go. Looking forward to tryouts.

15. alen

alen Well-Known Member

A lot of it depends on where you will be living in the JoCo area and how far you are willing to drive for soccer 2-3 times/week. JUSA is on one side of Clayton, GCAA on the entire opposite side. CASL is all over the greater Raleigh area.

I am a REC and Challenge coach with GCAA (Cleveland United), for the last 6 years. Very convenient to the Cleveland community. Our Challenge teams play within the CASL scheduling league, which provides a great competition level, where we only have to travel as far as Raleigh/Cary/Apex. Classic teams can and frequently do travel from the coast to the mountains.

Travel soccer at GCAA is much smaller than at JUSA, for various reasons, but in my opinion, limiting our player numbers makes for highly competitive teams and a tight knit club.

Our tryouts are in May as well...hope to see you out there!

16. jcmdl412

jcmdl412 Member

Thanks for your info. We are in the Cleveland area. Do you know if there is a date scheduled yet for tryouts? Also, do the GCAA players tend to be local to the Cleveland area? Our son will be in Cleveland middle and it'd be great to meet some soccer buddies who he'll be in school with.

17. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Obviously not, you deleted your comment. lol

Sherry

18. poppin cork

I really didn't. I'm not sure who did unless webby did. It was quoted though, if you would like to re-read it.

19. jcmdl412

jcmdl412 Member

I actually reported it because it was hurtful and mean. And had nothing to with my question, or human decency.

20. poppin cork

Well if you felt that way you should have done exactly that. You show class and character and I didn't. I apologize and will welcome you to the area. Again, I'm sorry and I was dead wrong.