Hot water heater service

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by GarnerHome, Mar 1, 2015.

1. GarnerHome

GarnerHome Well-Known Member

Not getting as much hot water as I used too and I love a nice hot bath. Recommendations for someone to look at my hot water heater?

2. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

You might want to flush it first. There is a water hose connection at the base where you can connect a standard garden hose, which can be placed outside or in a drain so the sediment in the bottom of the tank can be removed by this flushing.

If that does not help and it is electric one of the elements may be bad. Just in case you need some information before whomever you get to look at it makes any recommendations.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  3. kevinsmithii

kevinsmithii Well-Known Member

Ambit Plumbing can work on it for you. But I would think you would be wasting time with a hot water heater. I have no need to heat hot water.

4. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Go Tankless! I love it, endless hot water, and much more efficient, as you are only heating the water you need when you need it. And no worrying about it leaking 50 gallons out.

5. GarnerHome

I'm pretty sure it's one of the elements. Hubby drained it about 6 months ago. I'm having another baby any day now and I love hot water when I'm in labor. Trust me, I NEED LOTS of hot water ASAP if hubby is going to escape this unscathed. ;)

I had hoped to use Randy Parks, but when I called his number, I got a strange voice mail associated with another number. Anyone know if he's still in business?

6. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

Do you have gas, propane or electric?

7. Tardevil

Tardevil Well-Known Member

8. jesse82nc

Propane, I own my own 500 gallon tank. Fill it about every 2 years, typically takes about 150 gallons to fill.

9. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

:cheers:
    If you don't mind my asking what all do you run off that propane tank?

10. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

A woman who works for me had a tankless propane water heater installed with a remote temperature control. They set the temperature they want and then only use the hot water for a shower and then reset the temperature when they wash dishes or whatever. She really loves it. When my heater finally expires I am going to look at a tankless unit for replacement.

11. jesse82nc

Grill, Oven/cooktop, and hot water heater right now, going to install a gas pack on the furnace when I replace it soon.

12. TBonz

TBonz Member

I had planned to go with a tankless heater when our old water heater needed replacing. I didn't expect to find a tankless heater in a new home, but the house we decided on had a tankless heater. So far, so good. We've been quite happy with it.

13. GarnerHome

Who installed your tankless system? Hubby wants to look at this rather than going with two hot water heaters.

14. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

Iv'e had a tankless heater for a while and love it. Dixie Denning in Benson has them and a contractor to install. Probably any propane company also.

15. jesse82nc

I installed everything except the gas line. I have a friend that did the gas line, back when he did it he worked for a plumbing company that also did gas lines.