Forums Have Been Upgraded! PLEASE READ!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Webmaster, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

Ok, we have migrated the forums to a new software platform, as well as to a new server. Sorry for the downtime as we completed the transition.

We have migrated to a very basic setup on the new software, and will run for a couple of weeks to make sure all is well. After that is confirmed, we will begin making additional "tweaks."

Even in it's basic form, the new forums software has a number of new features - such as the ability to "like" a post, share a post/thread to Facebook, attach an image to a post directly and embed videos.

In addition, the new software has a responsive design - meaning that viewing and interacting with the forums on a tablet or phone should be a much better experience.

Along with all posts being transferred over, private messages were also transferred. You may notice that if you look at your list of private messages (now referred to as Conversations), the "reply count" is zero. That number did not translate over properly, but should act properly going forward.

As you use the forums under the new setup, if you have questions about features or issues that arise, please let us know. Again, thanks for your patience as we move forward with these upgrades on the site! :)

P.S. Yes...a very basic smiley set is currently available. More on the way.

Lucky1, snapper, TBonz and 1 other person like this.
  2. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

NOTE!
    If you are already a registered member of the forums, to sign in, click on the "SIGN IN" link you will see in the top, right hand corner of the screen.

It may be difficult to see as it is sitting on top of the banner. (We are working to fix that.)

3. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Awesome! Looks nice so far!

Webmaster likes this.
  4. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Not that it is critical, but the old selection of smilies seem to have died .... :oops:

5. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

Correct on the smilies. We have started off with the base install that came with the new system. Will be adding others and also see if we can bring over the previous ones in the next week or so.

6. Wayne Stollings

email notification works well also, but you probably know that

Webmaster likes this.
  7. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Doesn't seem to have kept privacy settings. Of course, it could have been a long time since I last visited this.

8. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

Which particular settings are you referring to? Let us know and we'll check on them. Thanks!

9. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

Yea!!! <Happy Dance>

10. BobF

BobF Well-Known Member

This is going to take some getting used to. I'm sure the update is better, and once I get used to it, it will begin to feel more comfortable...

...but somehow, there are a few features that I'll REALLY need to get used to. Right now, they still seem a little...

...creepy.

[​IMG]

Webmaster likes this.
  11. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

Your own fan club...what's not to like!? ;)

12. Wayne Stollings

Fan club or lynch mob? :rolleyes: :)

elims likes this.
  13. Wayne Stollings

One thing I just noticed. There is no quote function icon outside of the reply function.

Webmaster likes this.
  14. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

Good catch! Actually it is there, but on a drop down menu which includes a few other items. Here's where to find it.....

quote_location.png

15. Wayne Stollings

gotcha. I did not look past the insert title when I was checking.

16. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

No problem...actually, that's a good lead in to a couple of quick videos. The new forums software (Xenforo) has a very strong quoting system. You can gather quotes from across multiple threads very easily. In addition, there is a new feature referred to as a "spoiler." The two videos below demonstrate how to use these functions.

17. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

For some reason I cannot jump from Forum to Forum like I used to. Is that something we just need to get used to? And, I don't see the last posts on a Thread, it is starting me at the very beginning, which is a bit much on the Political side. lol

18. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

Here's a few things that should help you navigate around a little easier.

First, jumping between forums. Look for this link at the top and bottom of any page. It will pop up a navigation list that will let you move between different forums:

forums_navigation.jpg

To view the last post on a thread, click on the time stamp at listed in the LAST MESSAGE column:

forums_view_last_post.jpg

A great way to catch up easily on posts that have taken place since your last visit is to use the NEW POSTS link at the top of the page. It will give you a combined view of posts from across all forums:

forums_new_posts.jpg

Hope that helps! :cool:

19. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Thanks Webbie. The more I navigate the more I am able to see all that can be done.

20. ricks99

ricks99 Well-Known Member

Webmaster likes this.