4042.com Forums - Software to be Updated

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Webmaster, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

Ok...this took much longer than expected, but we are about ready to go.

The goal is to update the software platform that runs the 4042.com Johnston County Forums. We have everything prepped and ready for a test migration, which will occur over the next couple of days.

If everything works correctly, we will do the full migration - most likely next Monday night.

The test migration can all be done in the "background" while everything continues to run. When we do the real thing on Monday, there will be a time period of about 4 hours when the forums will be offline while the transition occurs.

The new software will provide a number of features that have been asked for over the years, some of which are:

1. Responsive design - the template will adjust to provide the best view on whatever device is being used (PC screen, tablet, phone).

2. Ability to directly embed videos from YouTube, Vimeo, etc.

3. Ability to directly upload an image to be used in a post, rather than having to upload it elsewhere and link to it.

4. The ability to "like" a post. (No connection with Facebook)

5. The ability to share a post/thread to Facebook, Twitter, etc.

The migration involves not only changing the software used to power the forums, but also switching servers. We will be transitioning to the new forums software setup as a "plain Jane" install to make sure everything moves over properly. Once confirmed, we will be adding on and introducing additional features as we move forward.

Thanks in advance for your patience during this upgrade and, in particular, for being a member of the 4042.com forums - we're glad yer' here! 8)

2. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Fingers crossed everything goes smoothly fer ya!!

3. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

Thanks!

4. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Which forum software will the new one be running on?

5. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Should we all log out on Monday so you can install the new software?

6. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

Xenforo

7. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

Thanks!...but nothing you'll need to do on your side. We will shut this board down completely just prior to the transition....will try to do it on "off hours" when traffic is the lowest to make it as smooth as possible.

8. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Sounds like great improvements, thanks Webbie :cheers:

9. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

Update: Test migration went pretty well. We are clearing up a few issues, and plan on doing the "switch" tomorrow evening.

10. Rockyv58

How do you go and mark all read? I know in the format you double click on the icon on the left.

11. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

The upper left hand corner has a spot to mark the forum read in each forum and at the main page for all of the fora.

12. Rockyv58

13. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

on my Surface 3 this works, but not on my Android phone.

14. Wayne Stollings

FYI in case you avoid the pit as most are wont to do.

15. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

What??

16. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

17. Wayne Stollings

Webbie started a thread on the update, and the quote was related to that update which he may not have seen otherwise.

18. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

The quote coulda been put in a more cognizant state than what it was.
    The quote looked more like you were in a drunken stupor.

19. Wayne Stollings

Sorry, I did not realize I would have to explain it to you in such detail. I did not even use any big words and you could look up "wont" if need be.

20. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

ooooooo...... this is different!