Hummingbirds are back!!!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Kent, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

We've got 4 still with us.

What a season!

During the summer we had over a dozen constantly whizzing around and keeping us busy filling up the feeders! :)

2. peaches

peaches Well-Known Member

We ended up with 6 for the last couple of months. We had one that was still hanging around but haven't seen it for a week or so. Think we'll leave the feeders up until the first freeze, just in case...

3. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
    markfnc likes this.
  4. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

5. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

Hey Kent, thank you so much for this posting, great information and will be the first site I check on after the weather. We have our feeders all ready.

6. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

I was just thinking yesterday that it's about time to hang the feeders. Last year my little guys showed up late. With this crazy weather, I'm not sure what's going to happen this year!

7. elims

elims Well-Known Member

8. INTHEBUFF

INTHEBUFF Well-Known Member

I love these little birds. Since we are on the topic of migratory birds, if anyone knows the lady that feeds the seagulls in Garner and leaves the buckets of food out at White Oak, please ask her to stop doing this. Seagulls are migratory birds and should've by now started their journey to the coastline from which they came, as long as she feeds them they will stay and I for one do not enjoy having their poop all over the parking lots and on my car, not to mention it creates a very unhealthy environment. Their home is at the coast where they feed on crab and small fish, making their nest in the marsh etc. Their natural habitat is not this far inland, but they will stay as long as you feed them. I know she thinks she's helping them out and that's a very nice thing to do but it's truly time to stop and let them go back to their homes.

9. Pepper Jack

Pepper Jack Well-Known Member

I saw at least one Saturday and one Sunday AM. Corwallis Rd

10. elims

elims Well-Known Member

I haven't put my feeders out yet, but probably will this next week. I've had a teaser, an empty feeder, out but I haven't seen anyone approaching it yet .. almost time to plant flowers and other attractions!

11. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

I put my feeder up Friday. Havent seen any yet. 50/42 area.

12. 26.2

26.2 Well-Known Member

Had one on the feeder Easter Sunday.

13. reeteach2

reeteach2 Well-Known Member

My kids would like to start feeding hummingbirds. I found the feeders months ago on sale, but don't know what to do now. Any advise on how to get started or maybe a good website for the kids to research?

14. markfnc

Put mine up Friday (4/3), saw a few at the feeder on Saturday (4/4). Seems to be the same 2 so far.

15. elims

elims Well-Known Member

A good place to start:
    http://www.hummingbirds.net/index.html

16. molly2008

molly2008 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I took this last year at my Grandmother's in VA, I spend a lot of time on her porch watching these little guys. I need to get my own feeders out here, I got buzzed by one outside today. :)

Rockyv58 likes this.
  17. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Beautiful!

molly2008 likes this.
  18. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
    peaches likes this.
  19. markfnc

Ours go thru a feeder of mix in about 3-4 days. Ours had been empty since Thursday, I was re filling then hanging on Saturday and they were trying to get some as I was hanging it.

20. markfnc

Getting close to that time. Was looking at previous years on the link. Close to our area 2015 3/28, 2014 3/25, 2013 3/29, 2012 3/15, 2011 3/18. Guess I'll put mine up this weekend.