Trash collection service

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Leixlip, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Leixlip

Leixlip Active Member

Really disappointed that my service with Brocks has been bought out by Waste Industries. I absolutely detest WI and our parting a few years ago was not amicable. Therefore I will be looking for a new service when my current quarter runs out. Who would you recommend locally for curbside pick up?

2. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

We've been using Carolina Waste & Recycling based in Smithfield - still privately owned. Too bad that WI has added another company to their arsenal.

3. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

A fair number of companies deal with competition by buying them out. A decent offer to buy and maybe a threat of a price war the little guy cannot hope to survive is all it takes.

4. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Based on an assumption

5. Wayne Stollings

No, based on historical data as opposed to your assumption I had no such evidence.

http://www.myownbusiness.org/buying_businesses/

Economies of scaleAcquisitions of companies in your own business will strengthen your buying power and spread your fixed costs over a high level of sales. Waste Management is a good example of successful growth through acquisitions. This multi billion dollar enterprise was built by acquiring hundreds of companies in the waste business.

http://www.wm.com/about/company-profile/acquisitions-and-divestitures.jsp

Waste Management is interested in growing through strategic acquisitions. Throughout our history, we have acquired hundreds of companies and our acquisition team is continually evaluating new opportunities. We have the experience to evaluate a company, close a transaction and quickly integrate the acquired business into Waste Management.

http://www.justice.gov/atr/public/hearings/single_firm/docs/218778.htm

Predatory pricing poses a dilemma that has perplexed and intrigued the antitrust community for many years. On the one hand, history and economic theory teach that predatory pricing can be an instrument of abuse, but on the other side, price reductions are the hallmark of competition, and the tangible benefit that consumers perhaps most desire from the economic system.

The dilemma is intensified by recent legal and economic developments. Judicial enforcement is at a low level, following the Supreme Court’s recent Brooke decision, the first major predatory pricing decision in modern times.1Indeed, sinceBrookewas decided in 1993, no predatory pricing plaintiff has prevailed on the merits in the federal courts. At the same time modern economic analysis has developed coherent theories of predation, contravening earlier economic writing claiming that predatory pricing conduct is irrational. More than that, it is now the consensus view in modern economics that predatory pricing can be a successful and fully rational business strategy; and we know of no major economic article in the last 30 years that has claimed otherwise. In addition, several sophisticated empirical case studies have confirmed the use of predatory pricing strategies. But the courts have failed to incorporate the modern writing into judicial decisions, relying instead on earlier theory no longer generally accepted.

Growing market concentration, fueled by the current merger wave, has further increased the tension between judicial policy and modern economic theory. Notwithstanding the low level of judicial support—or perhaps because of the legal vacuum this has created—government enforcement concern with predatory pricing is at the highest level in many years. The Department of Transportation has recently issued proposed predatory pricing guidelines, antitrust enforcement agencies have ongoing investigations, and private antitrust actions have not slackened despite their apparently dim prospects. Moreover, the growing importance of intellectual property, challenges predatory pricing rules designed for tangible goods markets, as illustrated by the Microsoft case where the alleged predatory pricing involves intellectual property. It is the thesis of this paper that the dilemma and tensions confronting predatory pricing enforcement can be resolved and a coherent approach developed by basing legal policy, at least in part, on modern strategic theory.

6. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

Waste Management and Waste Industries are two different companies, but they probably follow the same principles.

Their philosophy really is that they know their service sucks, but by buying up all the competition, there won't be anything anyone can do about it, except haul their own trash.

7. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

We've been using ABC Sanitation since the last company we were using, was bought out by Waste Industries. I think we've been using them for going on 2 years, no service problems and decent rates. Anyone is better than having to deal with WI ever again!

8. Wayne Stollings

Yes, those were general examples of how some businesses have operated, not specific to Waste Industries.

9. lawnboy

lawnboy Well-Known Member

I used to worry about this stuff, but all the local companies seem to collect trash 95% on-time, within $15/quarter of each other. For $5 a month savings and the fact that somebody's always going to be late some of the time, I'd rather just pay the dam* bill and spend my time worrying about something else

10. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I'd rather support a locally owned family company with good customer service than a conglomerate with crappy customer service that could care less if I was a customer or not. I think I might pay 2 or 3 dollars more than my Waste Ind. bill was, but supporting the local economy and knowing I don't have to deal with those idiots at Waste Ind. is worth it to me.

11. whats4dessert

whats4dessert Member

Aardvark has been great since we dropped WI. They come every scheduled day don't dump trash on the street or leave my can out in the road. Amazing!

12. certdude

certdude Well-Known Member

13. space_cowboy

space_cowboy Well-Known Member

Of course they do, @#$!#@ thieves.

14. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

WELL.... I jinxed myself with that last post about how great ABC Sanitation is. I got a letter in the mail today that effective May 1 (nice they sent it out with any advance notice, and if I recall that is their m.o.) Waste Industries will be my new garbage provider! CRAP. Time to change services again!

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  15. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

give it time. If the new tax thing goes through in the county, you will be paying for the dump and can go there instead of having it picked up. From what the guy at the dump on Barbour Mill told me it will be like wake county and you won't need a sticker to go throw your garbage out

16. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

Yeah, that way we people that have been responsible enough to pay for trash pick up can just pay for the ones who don't. Stupid ****.

17. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

That's why I pay for the service, we don't have time to go and wait in line! Nor do I want to put trash in either of our vehicles!

18. Leixlip

Leixlip Active Member

Oh No, is there nobody offering a decent curbside pick up? I refuse to use W.I

19. certdude

certdude Well-Known Member

Aardvark. Several of us use them and they are great. Home town feel and family run. They rarely make mistakes and always keep you posted if theres any issues, normally weather related, only once business related and that was a broke truck. Even if they have issues, its normally next day when they are corrected, not the following week.

tassy likes this.
  20. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

That's who I am leaning towards, they have a great rate if you pay the full year upfront.