proposed changes in gun laws

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Pepper Jack, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Pepper Jack

Pepper Jack Well-Known Member

Why does a Dr need to know if I own a firearm?

2. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

In case he suspected you might be a threat to yourself or others?

3. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

"Why does a Dr need to know if I own a firearm?"
    Just say no when asked!

4. Pepper Jack

Pepper Jack Well-Known Member

5. Wayne Stollings

It is easier to harm someone if you have access to a firearm ... that is why the old saying "God created man, Col. Colt made them equal"

Take the Colorado theater shooter, for example, if his doctor was concerned and knew he did not have a firearm the level of action would be different than if he knew there was a firearm accessable. The probability of injury to yourself or others is greater if you have a firearm in the house, especially where there are children. Not everyone trains the children or secures the weapon sufficiently as is evidenced by the numbers of children involved in accidental shootings.

6. Wayne Stollings

The American Academy of Pediatrics added it to its guidelines more than a decade ago. It’s often asked in pediatrics, but Pinnacle Health’s Medical Director Joseph Cincotta said it’s also a question for adults. “We don’t take a position as to whether people can or cannot own guns. To us that’s irrelevant. If a person wants to own a gun that’s fine. Our issue revolves around safety,” said Dr. Cincotta.

7. Wayne Stollings

8. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Pretty much for the same reasons they do a background check on you when buying a gun, I guess. It would essentially be the reciprocal of the portion of the background check, when applying for permit, that asks you if: upload_2015-4-30_15-11-44.png

9. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

It's not the doctors business if you own a firearm.

10. Wayne Stollings

As much as it is if you drink alcohol to excees, smoke, do drugs, have unprotected sex outside of a monagamistic relationship, eat fast foods, drive offensively, or any number of other factors that impact your health or the health of your family.

11. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

Correct, it's only his business if you are seeking his advice.

12. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Remember you said this the next time someone shoots up a school and everyone defends gun ownership over better recognition/treatment of psychological disorders.

Wayne Stollings likes this.
  13. Wayne Stollings

The doctor would only be asking you if you were making an office visit and thus seeking his advice.

14. Wayne Stollings

That is part of the reason I dropped my NRA membership years ago. The push away from reasonable regulations seemed to set up an all or nothing conclusion and the nothing was the more likely ending, IMO. I would rather have some reasonable laws restricting access to firearms than having them removed completely.

15. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

That can't happen! Schools are gun free zones duh!

16. Wayne Stollings

Except for the other proposed changes to the laws to allow guns to be kept on school property now. :D

17. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Depending on the Doctor and what their specialty is, it might be a very appropriate question. I wish a Doctor of a loved one of mine would have inquired.