Garden ties

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Rockyv58, May 11, 2015.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

The previous owner had made a raised bed out of garden ties. I am taking it apart and attempting to take out the nails. I turn the tie over and knock the nail out as far as possible. But when I flip it over I can not pull it the rest of the way out with a claw hammer. The bed has been in place for at least 17 years. Any suggestions? I was thinking of maybe spraying the nails with some WD40 before I knock them out from the back side just to lube them up.

[​IMG]

2. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

If it is a vegetable garden the WD40 would not be a good idea. If it is that old the ties may have higher levels of heavy metals which are also not a good idea for a vegetable garden. If you can use a crowbar to give more leverage that may solve your problem of nail removal.

3. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

What about a nail punch?

4. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

It was never used as a vegetable garden. I am taking it apart to us the rails against my chicken wire fence. They are so old they are starting to decay. Even though they are pressure treated

Good Idea I may have one of those laying around

The only reason she even put it there was to keep her brother from driving his vehicle in to the back yard

5. cranky

cranky Well-Known Member

Rockyv58 likes this.