FREE: scam

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Rockyv58, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Did anyone see this under the Classifieds

FREE: scam
    the man that stands at 4042 area with the fake leg he makes over 400$ a day from people that think he is homelss he is far from homeless so to all the ppl that are giving him money your bein tricked into thinking something else

2. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

3. lawnboy

lawnboy Well-Known Member

Why surprised? One of the news stations (national or affiliate, can't remember) did a story years ago on some of these panhandlers, and I remember one was making around $40k each year, and this was several years ago.

Anybody who gives to panhandlers is a sucker. It isn't "doing what God would want you to do," it's being a complete ******* who is content to be poor while helping the fake poor have the last laugh.

Anyone who really needs help can seek out the salvation army, etc, and that's where you SHOULD be putting your money.

This scam is old as the hills, as my great grandmother would say. I was scammed in a parking lot for $5 as a freshman in college over 2 decades ago, and that's precisely the last time I "helped" anyone begging on the side of the road.

4. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Best way to tell is to give him food. Like a banana or something and see how they react. If they look like they couldn't care less for food, then it is a scam.

5. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

I read on a facebook group that this same guy lost his leg in a motorcycle accident, not in combat. He drives a new black car (can't remember what model) and lives in a 4 bedroom house. The kids he claims to support are his wife's kids, not his.

Don't know if it's true or not. The source was a guy who supposedly grew up with this man.

6. INTHEBUFF

INTHEBUFF Well-Known Member

Well, let me be the one to open up another can of worms. I think having your child stand out in front of Lowe's begging for money from strangers to donate for them to play rec soccer, football, basketball etc. without exchange of goods such as popcorn, cookies or other commerce is sending a very, very bad message to that child. When I see you parking your Toyota Tundra before setting up your child with his huge homemade sign in front of the doors, I just have to shake my head and wonder where your priorities are. Here's an idea, take the kid around the neighbourhood and see if someone can put him/her to work to earn that money, have your child do extra chores around the house/yard for you or grandma/granddaddy, but don't teach them that begging is the way to earn money and it was definitely BEGGING, no exchange of goods and/or services, asking flat out to donate money constitutes BEGGING.

Melynda and michelle like this.
  7. Wraunch

Wraunch Well-Known Member

I disagree with the last comment. Fundraising for charity and panhandling are different due to the end destination of the donated money. I know many people that would much rather give a kid $5 to help attend a tournament than buy a box of cookies where the kid might get $1 for the local chapter. Giving to charity means you don't get anything tangible in return. If you want tangible goods you are shopping, NOT donating.

8. INTHEBUFF

INTHEBUFF Well-Known Member

I understand where you're coming from on the whole charity thing and how much money truly goes to the cause etc.

My point was that the other weekend these children were out there panhandling/begging for money, dad's just standing around etc. It's just my opinion that this sends the wrong message to the children, people can put whatever twist they want on this but it comes down to the fact these kids were being taught to panhandle to get what they need for whatever cause, when they could've been raking someone's yard or helping out at their own house to EARN the money and not begging. I raised three children. They have become very successful young adults and they were taught that hard work is what pays the bills and affords the luxuries you get out of life, not begging outside of Lowe's. All three started working in high school to pay for the privilege to drive, paying for their portion of the car insurance, gas etc. and continued working part/full time jobs through their college years, not living off of student loans like so many of them are doing now. Teaching them these principles and values has made them the successful people they are today. But of course, this is just my honest opinion on how we as parents should raise the next generation for the future. Stepping off my soapbox now, have a great day.

michelle likes this.
  9. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

+ 9 on both your posts.

10. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

I have plenty of things I would gladly pay a kid to do around my property. I need some gravel moved around and a trench dug lol. I would easily pay a teenager $10 an hour or a flat fee to do those things. These are the type of things that kids should be doing to learn the value of a dollar and hard work.

Melynda likes this.
  11. BuzzMyMonkey

Spot on Buffy.

12. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

How about when the stupid parents let their children run in and out of traffic (literally) on the side of 42 asking for money for cheerleading events, etc. That is the dumbest thing I have ever seen. Can't believe any decent parent would allow their elementary aged children to be in that situation.

13. BuzzMyMonkey

That's one step from the pole.

14. courtney

courtney Member

I work right near where they all stand at the walmart on hwy 70. Have worked there for 3 years so yes I'm getting tired of witnessing it. I finally googled it and bam, here I am!

I've had customers tell me they will get mad if you bring them food. They want money. I've seen the woman driving her "newer looking maroon maxima, nice rims and wheels" and parking it in the empty spaces by the car wash and walking up there with her sign, as well as the guy with the fake leg, driving his "very good looking green car" and parking near where she does and then walking up there. I've seen the older guy riding a very nice bike and he parks it at zaxbys while he walks up there. Funny thing, he realized he had his nice glasses on his head before he made it up to his "spot" and he jerked them off and tucked them in his bag so fast! I now am a firm believer that they are all scamming the town of clayton and wonder why the cops dont run them off? Saddest part is that people won't know unless it makes it to the news. Someone needs to help us stop donations to these people and help the ones that do not have cars, extra clothes to change into daily etc. There are local food banks who need support, not these scammers.

Melynda and Rockyv58 like this.
  15. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Deja vu?

16. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

All over again ....

tassy and Hught like this.
  17. courtney

courtney Member

Sorry for bringing it back up, just thought I'd share that it's still going on unfortunately. :(

18. Wayne Stollings

It was just noting that you had the same post in two separate threads is all.

19. BuzzMyMonkey

So what ... You yourself have done the same thing too.

20. Wayne Stollings

For those with impaired reading comprehension, there was no problem indicated with courtney's post, Tassy just noticed it was a similar post to another and when I commented and then explained the reason behind the initial comment, something seems to have crawled from under a bridge to try to stir something or another.

tassy likes this.