The ESPY's awards??

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by BuzzMyMonkey, Jun 4, 2015.

1. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Really?? Who in their right mind thinks this guy, err or gal deserves the courage award... what a joke. Courage for what??
    There should be a disgrace award also... with a landslide win by ESPN.
    Un damn beleivable

poppin cork likes this.
  2. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

poppin cork likes this.
  3. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

I wish everyone would just leave him/her alone. The man has struggled for 65 years with this demon. Let him be.

Sherry A., Wayne Stollings and Hught like this.
  4. BuzzMyMonkey

5. BuzzMyMonkey

Lol.

6. siameselover

siameselover Well-Known Member

I think Lauren Hill should get the courage award. She was fighting dipg and raised money for it. dipg is a pediatric brain tumor and its a horrible death. my granddaughter died from it

7. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Do you even understand what this award is?

Sherry

ESPN has given its Arthur Ashe Courage Award, named after a tennis player who died of AIDS-related pneumonia, to figures ranging from professional sportsmen to relative unknowns - and even a world leader:

2014: Michael Sam, the first openly gay NFL player, was given the award last year. The former St Louis Ram now plays in the Canadian league.

2013: Robin Roberts, a Good Morning America host who worked at ESPN for 15 years, received the 2013 award after her battles with breast cancer and myelodysplastic syndrome, a blood condition.

2012: Pat Summitt, a basketball coach at the University of Tennessee with more NCAA wins to her name than any other coach, was given the award after her battle with Alzheimer's disease.

2011: Dewey Bozella, who spent most of his adult life in prison after being wrongly convicted of murder, but found solace and stability in boxing, won the award four years ago.

2010: The family of Ed Thomas, football coach at an Iowa high school, accepted the award after he was murder by a mentally ill former player in the school locker room.

2009: Nelson Mandela, the first president of South Africa, won the award for the way he used the 1995 Rugby World Cup as a vehicle for healing racial divides in his country.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ng-crass-exploitation-play.html#ixzz3cmOtMAce
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

8. BuzzMyMonkey

LOL. Yeah fully aware of what and why.. Did you before you looked into it?
    I doubt it. I didn't need you to attempt to point out the obvious.
    Which is why I find it ridicules that Bruce got it.

9. Sherry A.

Then why do you find it ridiculous that Bruce got it?

Sherry

10. BuzzMyMonkey

Why did he deserve it?

11. Sherry A.

Are you doing to answer my question or not?

Sherry

12. BuzzMyMonkey

Sure. After you tell me why he deserves it. Oops. She
    Could it be the courage exhibited with killing someone or even the courage it takes to to be a Kartrashian?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  13. Sherry A.

Since you don't have an answer to my question I will give you this....I believe he is very brave to help those who suffer daily.

Sherry

“In one of the most profound displays of bravery and courage I’ve seen, Bruce Jenner has finally stepped out into the world for real,” said National Center for Transgender Equality executive director Mara Keisling. “Stories like Jenner’s help change the narrative about who transgender people are. Millions of Americans now have a bridge to understanding the truth behind the struggles of being transgender in 2015 America. To Jenner, welcome. To Jenner’s family, thank you for your touching and compassionate support. And to America, let’s all push past this trans tipping point together and change the world. We extend our deepest thanks and welcome to him.”

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/bruce-jenner-interview-brave-transgender-equality-1201479704/

14. BuzzMyMonkey

LOL. Right.

15. Melynda

Melynda Well-Known Member

I believe everyone should be able to live as they choose, as long as their choices don't hurt anyone. If Bruce's choices are ok with Bruce and his/her family ... then its of no concern to me. I'd hate for anyone else to think they had any say over what I choose to do with my own body ... so I don't plan on telling them what they can do with theirs. However, I do believe their are FAR more courageous and heroic role models than this individual. People who have helped others ... I really feel like Bruce's choices were totally about helping himself. I hope that he/she finds the life and happiness being sought. However, I don't think a great makeup job and cosmetic surgery makes you a courageous hero worthy of national celebration any more than any female who decides to get a boob job so she is happier with her own reflection in the mirror.

poppin cork, ImTheNormal0ne and Hught like this.
  16. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Dean Smith won in 1998 just after his retirement ..... it seems that was courageous to some and possibly not to others. I would think the people who created the award should be able to decide who they feel is the better candidate each year. If there is such a significant disagreement, perhaps it is time to create your own award so you can make that decision.