Pumas or Panthers in NC ????

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by turtlepits, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Coyote migrated naturally to the state several years ago, so why couldn't jaguar? From what I've read there are already jaguar that live in the extreme southwestern US in very small numbers. They are smaller than those from South America, but if this is true, that is proof positive that they will extend their range. Personally, I'd say its most likely a previously captive big cat that either escaped or was purposefuly turned loose.

There was a guy I knew of in school who supposedly kept a cougar in a vacant house he had. This wasn't something bragged about, but rather a woman told my mother of this. She said that the cat was as docile as a domestic cat during the day and would even play with the guy's dogs. However, at night and near feeding time, the cougar would get very wild. Finally, he was threatened to be charged (or something like that) for keeping it so he gave it to some sanctuary.

I really don't see why NC Wildlife can't get to the bottom of this and capture whatever people is seeing. I've read that some conspiracy theorists out there think that the state knows about this small, but growing big cat population and doesn't want to alarm the public, but I think I'd like to be alarmed if you don't mind.

2. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

:arrow:
    We are hearing the same sort of stories from out hometown back in VA. One of my cousins (who is completely in his right mind) swears up and down he saw one last year near his goats. We have plenty of bobcats and bears, coyotes, etc. already up there, see no reason why there wouldn't be cougars. The dang bears come right up on the porch. :shock:

3. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Never been a recorded example of a black cougar, however even though the North American cougar (mountain lion) would be a more likely culprit. As mentioned already, the "black panther" is usually associated with melanistic jaguars or leopards. Leopards are native to Africa while jaguars are found primarily in South America. If there was a free-roaming "black panther" that got here on its own, it would obviously be a jaguar. However, one deliberately or accidentally released could be either. If there is a 150-pound black cat out there, its very unlikely to be a cougar variant that no one has ever seen before.

4. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

People have also been claiming to see Bigfoot for years, I think it would be a waste of tax dollar money to spend any time looking for it/them.

5. redtangsoo

redtangsoo Well-Known Member

Last year on 40, up on the way to exit 325, there was a large black cat dead on the road, large like between a fox and coyote size, it was big enough to get me slow down for a long look. I went back after my delivery and it was already picked up, Iwanted a picture of it. It seemed to have a pattern in the black from what I could see.

6. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

:lol:

NO.

7. seabee

seabee Guest

Thanks Cleo... :?:? :boxing: :lol::lol:

8. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I know I got your hopes all up - you might have shown up at the next get together.

9. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

True, but there is no degree of certainty that a bigfoot actually exists and we have no idea of its characteristics. We know that a jaguar or a leopard on the loose is possible and that it is definitely a carnivore. With reputable eyewitness accounts of a large predator potentially stalking near suburban areas, I'd say that's reason alone to investigate. One child (or adult) as a victim would be one too many.

It's really no different than letting your child go into the ocean to swim in an area that is supposedly free of man-eating sharks. If you have a few folks that say they've seen one, you're going to be apprehensive about letting your child out there. Now, consider your own backyard as a potential hunting ground! With all the deer and other prey to feed on (not to mention roadkill) the danger is probably low, but certainly something that Wildlife officials should monitor closely.

10. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

11. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Wow, an 8 year old thread lol. Almost 6 years since the previous post.

12. turtlepits

turtlepits Well-Known Member

No doubt......the dog in the picture here is about 110 pounds now!! LOL

Wayne Stollings likes this.
  13. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

That's Hugh for ya. The funny thing is that he's gotten on another poster for doing the same thing.

14. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Not the same, but why let that get in the way, right.

15. BuzzMyMonkey

For drumming up old posts. Sure has.

16. Wayne Stollings

For directing a comment to someone who is no longer on the board in an old thread yes, but then again don't let that get in your way.

Hught likes this.
  17. BuzzMyMonkey

LOL. Typical BS spin outta you. Which is no surprise. You don't always set the rules and guidelines around here. Bub.

18. Wayne Stollings

Never said that I did and I am just pointing out the truth in relation to your misrepresentation.

19. BuzzMyMonkey

Keep a spinning

20. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Stinger_6 / or one of his many, many aliases started responding to people that have not posted for years expecting a response back.

I could have started a new thread, but why? I thought the information was relevant to discussions we already had.

Bonus: Brought back an old friend!