Health Insurance help?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by elims, Aug 13, 2015.

1. elims

elims Well-Known Member

It looks like I'm going to be going to work for a company that doesn't offer benefits, like health insurance (and dental, vision, whatever). That's a first, for me. Do I have to sign up for Obama-care? Will I be eligible? Do I have to go purchase insurance independently? How does this work? I've always had benefits through work. I have no clue where to start, and what to look at.

Thanks!!

2. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

3. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

While I was in school and only working two days a week my obamacare was 40.83. but as soon as I had to sign up now that I am working (close to minimum wage) my insurance shot up to 179.00 a month. I had to take a plan at 110.00 a month just so I could keep my doctor. Cannot go to my eye doctor even for diabetes check. And I just heard that BCBS wants to up everyone who goes through obamacare by 35%. When it does it looks like I will become one of the millions of uninsured. My mom thinks that even at 110.00 a month its a deal. Not sure about that.

4. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

You can also get insurance personally without going through the ACA system. If you go through the ACA you may also get the wage credit which can lower the amount you pay. For most people the ACA system will be the better choice but picking the right plan is a headache.

Sherry A. likes this.
  5. Wayne Stollings

Rocky, for my wife and myself under the old company group plan the cost was just shy of $2000.00 per month, which was essentially paid out of pocket for me. When I dropped the group plan in favor of individual plans the same policy cost dropped to $1400.00 per month. My portion of the new company group plan is $440.00 per month excluding dental and vision. So, that price is a good deal.

Sherry A. and Rockyv58 like this.
  6. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Thanks it is good to know. I am also hoping to leave being a contractor at Wake Med and going back to computers. I will probably continue doing the obamacare.

7. elims

elims Well-Known Member

K, thanks... may try this route first, trying to avoid ACA if i can.

8. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

we've used BCBS of NC as its been cheaper than my work (for the family)

9. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

10. Wayne Stollings

BCBS requested the hike like they always do, but like always it will probably not be what they wanted.

Rockyv58 likes this.
  11. Emma Caroline

Emma Caroline Well-Known Member

Be sure to look at all options if going with obamacare. It was cheaper for me to get obamacare so I signed up in January. My premiums were about 235 per month. I chose a BSBS Blue Value plan. After I had itI realized that none of my doctors accepted blue value. I was on a blood thinner and with my plan it was going to cost 300 per month. In April of the same year I was notified that my premiums were increasing to 565 per month. I got the letter April 27th and the new premium was to take effect May 1st. I dropped that and signed up with my husband. It is still expensive but no at least I have a plan that doctors will accept. Before you sign up make sure your doctors will accept the coverage.

12. Wayne Stollings

We had that problem with one of the last group plans we had from BCBS too. They did not have all of the information as it was just being rolled out and the price was really competitive. The reason it was so competitive is that there were almost no pharmacy locations and NO doctors that were in the network unless you went outside of the county.

13. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Whatever you get now, it will be ACA compliant. I think you're confusing ACA with Healthcare.gov. Any BCBSNC plan you get now is ACA compliant and therefore part of 'Obamacare'.

14. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter Well-Known Member

Stop voting Dem