Rumor Mill - New Food Lion Shopping Center

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Harvey, Jul 7, 2015.

1. youwish2bme

youwish2bme Well-Known Member

Harris Teeter would be much better...

Rockyv58 likes this.
  2. bostonredhead

bostonredhead Well-Known Member

How about next to the DMV on 42. Anyone know what's being built there?

3. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

I heard Johnston County planning wouldn't let Food Lion have an access onto Cleveland Rd, so Food Lion has withdrawn.

4. cranky

cranky Well-Known Member

Markfnc, I was at the planning board meeting and there was no mention of problems with access to Cleveland rd. The application was approved at the meeting. When did all this come about?

5. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Wouldn't the DOT have the authority over access?

poppin cork likes this.
  6. markfnc

I heard it from someone at Food Lion Construction division.

7. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

I will be moving back up that way and I hope it is anything but a Food Lion.. we have enough of those...

Nice to see how with all the bias going on with the illegals and people of color, the Yankee prejudice is alive and well...geez

8. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

It's been earned dear.

9. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I've seen it all then. Johnston County may have actually said 'no' to something in the name of good planning.

10. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Any apologies forth coming from you.

11. Wayne Stollings

jesse82nc likes this.
  12. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

That is correct for NC, we don't have county roads in NC. Only State Roads, Town/City Roads, and Private Roads. The county can make recommendations to the State DOT, but that is about it.

13. Wayne Stollings

Which would mean that the planning department had nothing to do with the issue of access but the DOT may have.

poppin cork and jesse82nc like this.
  14. markfnc

Ok, my friend @ Food Lion was talking about a different Food Lion being planned. He doesn't know the status of this one on Cleveland Rd.

15. cranky

cranky Well-Known Member

While you are correct on both, The NCDOT has to testify to the planning department on the road improvements, similar to the way the developer does. The planning board has the final say on if the project and improvements are feasible.

In this case the planning board asked plenty of good questions and added two or three additional requirements prior to approval. The NCDOT resident engineer was present as well as the project's transportation engineer, the developer and representatives for the current and future owners.

As far as the project being a no-go, I have seen nothing to indicate that it will not continue. I could care less what grocery store it is that moves in, I am not thrilled about adding to the congestion in the area but it does fit within the county's comprehensive plan.

http://www.johnstonnc.com/files/planning/LandUseMap102010.pdf

Take a long hard look at the map, You may be affected by development you find un-appealing. However the comprehensive plan is the development plan for the future, If you dont like what is proposed that is where you need to apply your efforts.

TBonz likes this.