Do I Upgrade?

Discussion in 'PC Help Desk' started by BobF, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Stinger_6

Stinger_6 Well-Known Member

Well at least you like Windows 10 a little better than Win7. I remember when people hosed themselves by "upgrading" from XP to Vista. What a nightmare that was.

BTW, have you considered Firefox as a browser?

2. BobF

BobF Well-Known Member

I'm a Creature of Habit, and IE has always been sufficient for my needs, and I'm pretty familiar with the configuration settings. I tried Chrome once and didn't see much I didn't already have with IE, along with adding a needless 'learning curve'.

Unless there is something tremendously superior with a different browser, I guess I'll stick with what I know.

3. BobF

BobF Well-Known Member

On a whim, I upgraded to Firefox last night, and based on some of the reviews I read, I also added the uBlock ad blocker.

Result: simply...unbelievable.

I don't know if Firefox is simply a better browser or whether adding the ad blocker did the trick, but my browsing experience improved 100% at least. Upgrading was easy, pulling all my bookmarks into Firefox was dirt-dumb easy and most (but not all) of the saved passwords exported over as well. Seems to be a better browser from a Security standpoint as well. Still a lot of neat features to explore, but that's part of the fun. Thanks for passing along the tip!

Stinger2019 likes this.
  4. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Firefox is a Rolls Royce compared to IE which is a yugo. Besides you can't go wrong with Fox.

5. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

If FF is a Rolls Royce, Chrome must be the Ferrari lol.

I'm always amazed that people still use FF, I thought it died off years ago.

Some stats from a website I manage. FF gets just over 2%.

upload_2015-10-8_9-31-38.png

6. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

I'm computer illiterate with all this I just know I've had much better success with FF than IE.
    I haven't ventured much beyond them. Lol

7. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Depends on what I am doing as to which browser I use. typical surfing I either use Opera or Chrome, but for some of my work related stuff I have to use IE

8. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I used to use Firefox but began to have performance and compatibility issues about two years ago so I gave Chrome a try.
    The biggest advantage I have found with Chrome is that if you have more than one computer, your Bookmarks follow you. You just log in and your Favorites are there. I highly recommend adding the the AdBlock Plus extension, it kills most pop ups, etc.

9. BobF

BobF Well-Known Member

Question: Whenever I see the word "plus" on an app, I assume that means "ya gotta pay for this".

Is AdBlock Plus a freebie or do I need to have my Visa or MasterCard ready?

10. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

Its free. I think the "Plus" in this case means that it provides additional functionality such as the ability to block a certain domain if it is known to be malicious and that sort of thing.

BobF likes this.
  11. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Doesn't Chrome take up a lot of space on the computer? Not sure why I think that, but that is the reason I have never used it.

Thanks,
    Sherry

12. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I just hate having to polish it all the time!

13. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

14. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

EDGE is a pre-cached little nasty. Microsofts version of Chrome.

15. Stinger2019

Stinger2019 Well-Known Member

Edge is the worst. Every time you search for something it automatically spits out a Microsoft or Microsoft owned website result. I moved on from FireFox to Opera and eventually went to Chrome. I really like Opera but the last two updates they pushed were really buggy