WHY a button to start a car?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Webmaster, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

Somebody who is into autos, please explain something to me. What is the big advantage of having a START BUTTON on a car? Does it bring any actual value to the operation of the car, prevent problems that a standard ignition brings....what?! I don't have any issues with sticking a key in and turning it - was the start button the solution to a non-existent problem?

Signed,
    I Just Don't Get It

2. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Or instead of a shift lever you get a knob to turn when "shifting into gear" such as on Chrysler products.

3. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Actually it eliminates the GM ignition switch issue, which led to a number of deaths.

My car was one of those in the recall.

4. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

5. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

You never have to take your keys out of your pocket. My current car and my previous one are like this with proximity keys/fobs and a start button. Add to that the fact that I have keypads on my door locks on my house, and I never take my keys out of my pocket the entire day usually. Saves time and is easier to use.

Sherry A. likes this.
  6. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

My mom had a Cadillac that unlocked the doors when she got close. The car was full of Christmas presents when she stopped by the hair dresser. She stepped back, locked the car, checked the door and it was unlocked. After a while she called me to find out how to lock the car.

Webmaster likes this.
  7. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

We've got a trailblazer that will spin over until the engine cranks even if you let go of the key. That is the same method just without the button. Keys used to push a rod that ran down the column and pressed a button under the dash. A hammer and jumper wire for key on hot would start anything on the farm.

8. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

One advantage is that it makes it a lot more difficult to lock your keys in the car.

jesse82nc and Sherry A. like this.
  9. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Didn't some of the car mfgs try push button start and push button transmissions back in the 50's?

Attached Files:

10. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Yep, our car will not lock at all if there is a key inside.

11. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

I guess it is a case of old dog/new tricks for me. The fact that I still have to carry a fob around so the car knows it can unlock and start...heck, just let me use my key! Yeah, I know. Just a small thing but for some reason it just ticks me off! Cynadon, your story about your mother made me laugh as I do the same thing. I push the button to lock the door, I hear it click and then, out of years of habit I check the handle and because I have the proximity fob in my pocket, it unlocks again. If you see some guy standing next to a car locking and unlocking it, that's me! :cool: