Johnston County's Novo Nordisk Deal = Jobs, but at what cost?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Harvey, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

An argument could be made for this to go in the Political Pit, but it also affects our schools. A WRAL article is shedding more light on the recent economic development deal that JoCo and other made with Novo Nordisk. The gist of the article discusses what JoCo gave up to get these jobs and while it may have a positive net effect (more so than zero dollars if jobs stayed in Massachusets), will these 700 jobs have a negative impact on the County considering the reduction in tax revenue given up by the deal. It seems when the deal was announced not all of the incentives were released and this is up to the County, apparently. The rub here is that in order to get all of these jobs JoCo gave up future tax revenue, but these jobs bring families and those families need schools and other infrastructure. Granted those jobs will pay taxes (income, sales, property, etc.), but Novo Nordisk will not pay nearly as much as they should which may leave a hole in the budget for funding needed schools when we already need them now. This is where I feel growth goes wrong.

http://www.wral.com/apnewsbreak-novo-nordisk-got-130m-offer-for-nc-drug-plant/15151778/

2. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

Some salesmen / suppliers I know say there will be a thousand construction workers over there for a couple of years, If we are talking about the same expansion on 70.

jesse82nc likes this.
  3. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

I actually spoke with two people from Novo recently about their expansion while inquiring about some jobs there. They said that the construction probably wouldn't be 100% completed until sometime towards the end of 2020 at best. And that it was around $2 Billion in construction costs, building over 200,000 square feet of space, with over 2000 construction workers. That is about as large as the Walmart at 40/42 by comparison.

It will surely keep a lot of construction personnel busy and employed for a while.

4. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I am actually taking a Bioworks continuing education class come January through May up at the work force development building. With plans on getting work at Novo Nordisk. They come in towards the end of the program and help with resume writing and interviewing skills. They consider the class equivalent to a years experience, More than I can say I got with my Associates of Science degree. I am hoping to land a job with them or with Grifols come next spring

5. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

jesse, we must be talking about the same one. I fudged my numbers cause I figured people would think I was full of it I can supplement their needs, but certainly not fill them.