netflix vs hulu

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by cynadon, Dec 3, 2015.

1. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

netflix vs hulu. What can one do the other can't?
    I have netflix right now.

2. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

I've had both for several months. Netflix has a better movie selection and Hulu has a better TV show selection, in my opinion. But that gap is closing more every day and both are becoming more equal. Hulu basic has commercials, Hulu premium does not (or whatever they call their tiers). Hulu premium costs more ($11.99) than Netflix ($9.99 for 2 screens) currently.

There's also shows that are exclusive to each. It really depends on which shows you want to watch.

3. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

Dont know about Hulu, but we have Netflix. It sort of reminds me of the old days of walking in to Blockbuster because there are times where there just isn't anything I want to watch. The nice thing is that whatever we want to watch in always in stock.

I dont know if Hulu has this, but its worth mentioning as a good feature of Netflix. By upgrading to the $11.99 plan, we can watch it on four devices at one. (I think it's four). This is good because the kids use it WAY more than I do, but I can still use it without kicking them out.

4. jesse82nc

Hulu is only one stream at a time per account. In that respect, Netflix wins big time.

I probably watch stuff from both Netflix and Hulu equally right now. But once I am done with a few series I am watching right now that are on Hulu online, I may ditch them.

It's worth noting that I don't have cable either. Streaming only here.

5. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

I've had a NetFlix account from back when they were DVD rentals through the mail. For the past 5 years, I've used it as a streaming only service. Their library of content (including their original shows) has improved constantly and I have so much stuff on "my list" now I couldn't possibly get to it all if I watched TV 24/7. I've checked out Hulu and Amazon a few times, but never saw enough content I wanted to add them to the mix.

Related, I think the experience you get with any streaming service is greatly affected by the device you use. I'm a huge fan of the Roku boxes as they are rock solid in reliability and make it easy to work with Netflix, Hulu, Amazon or any other content providers. AND, Time Warner offers a free app for the Roku that turns it into a set top box - which means you can give the TW box back to them and save the monthly rental fees.

6. cynadon

Thank you webmaster. I just got the amazon fire tv game console (140$). It works great so far with netflix 10$/ month. The games are 1988 2d games I've seen. Amazon has a lot but seems to be expensive (3$ / tv episode, 30$ for a season, around 20$ / movie). I too have had netflix since dvd rental only. A google search answered a lot for me. I think I'm just a little overwhelmed. I can cut directv to basic and see most of my interest with netflix.

7. jesse82nc

if you have an Android tablet or phone, I would highly recommend a Chromecast. At only $35 each, they do amazing work. I probably stream for 5-6 hours a day on average.

8. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

I've heard good reports on the Chromecast also - had a Canadian buddy of mine buy two of them during a visit.

9. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

Amazon Fire or Fire Stick side-loaded with Kodi. You can't beat free streaming of everything.

J33PG1RL likes this.
  10. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

If the games include Missile Command and Galaga I'd be a happy camper! :cool:

11. cynadon

If the games include Missile Command and Galaga I'd be a happy camper! :cool:

that's pretty much what Iv'e seen. 2d mario bros tetris like stuff. The game version and the next cheaper down is the same but without the game controller. Buy the cheaper version, add the controller, and buy the games you want. Save yourself 20$. amazons included games are lame. the rest of the machine rock. You can "talk" searches, and it works. I got a funny joco accent and it still works.

12. Emma Caroline

Emma Caroline Well-Known Member

We don't have Hulu anymore so it may have changed but when we had it you could not get any CBS shows. I like Amazing Race and Big Bang Theory so I missed having that. We ended up getting Tivo DVR and now I just record whatever I want. I was not into the exclusive shows Hulu put out. I just wanted to see network TV on my schedule.

13. molly2008

molly2008 Well-Known Member

I was going to suggest this as well. I'm considering cutting the cable for the first time ever since we did this. It wasn't even hard to do according to DH. Kinda freaky with what all is out there!

14. cynadon

if you side-load- don't you loose control of screen parameters?

15. cynadon

do pages still fit on the tv

16. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

What kind of data usage does that eat up? I have a 3gb Verizon plan for myself.

17. jesse82nc

I just use my wifi at home, I use about 250GB of data per month using hulu and netflix.