Cornwallis....

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Tangie, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Why don't we just move the vitreal over to the Pit where we can root around in it without getting everyone else muddy?

2. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all.”

“This is just as true of the man who puts “native” before the hyphen as of the man who puts German or Irish or English or French before the hyphen. Americanism is a matter of the spirit and of the soul. Our allegiance must be purely to the United States. We must unsparingly condemn any man who holds any other allegiance.”

“But if he is heartily and singly loyal to this Republic, then no matter where he was born, he is just as good an American as anyone else.”

“The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English- Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian- Americans, or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality than with the other citizens of the American Republic.”

“The men who do not become Americans and nothing else are hyphenated Americans; and there ought to be no room for them in this country. The man who calls himself an American citizen and who yet shows by his actions that he is primarily the citizen of a foreign land, plays a thoroughly mischievous part in the life of our body politic. He has no place here; and the sooner he returns to the land to which he feels his real heart-allegiance, the better it will be for every good American.”

Theodore Roosevelt
    Address to the Knights of Columbus
    New York City- October 12th, 1915

3. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Nope. You're just plain 'white'. As in...I saw a bunch of white people on the corner. Can you see the difference now?

I saw a bunch of Mexicans on the corner VS. I saw a bunch of Hispanic people on the corner. If you don't care about other people's feelings, fine, but think about how ignorant you seem when you think all Hispanics come from Mexico.

4. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

Harvey, I once worked with a woman from Mexico who swore she won't Mexican. She was mountain people, Indians, Aztec or something I guess. Anyway, she didn't like to be called mexican.

5. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

This isn't about politics,, your point is moot.

6. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

If you say so! :rolleyes:

7. BuzzMyMonkey

You do realize the difference between ethnicity and politics I hope? Maybe you don't.

8. BuzzMyMonkey

For one who had often pointed out others grammar and spelling issues you would think yours would be correct.
    Did you mean vitriol?

9. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I do, but it seems a number of Political Candidates, and members of the Political Pit don't.

This is a typical topic in the Pit and these folks who don't want to be associated with some of the idiotic discussion/diatribes that go on over there should not have to be exposed to them.

10. BuzzMyMonkey

So now you just want to full blow this into politics. Great.

11. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

You are right on the "Vitriol" meaning, however you swung and missed on the other comment.

Now if you want to make personal attacks, head back to the Pit.

Sherry A. likes this.
  12. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

No, I just would like you to act like an adult.

I am going to move on, that old saying if you argue with a fool the folks passing by will not Know the difference is definitely starting to take hold here.

Sherry A. likes this.
  13. BuzzMyMonkey

Good. See ya later.

14. BuzzMyMonkey

Not a personal attack. Just some friendly advice

15. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

Can we just call you a mutt instead? :)

16. nr4042

nr4042 Member

I agree totally, I'm American, was born here, my parents are American, I have no problem with being called American. But I also value my ethnicity and my culture and some people need to broaden their understanding of culture as we live in a country that is made up of different cultures. No, my culture is not better than Mexican culture, but it surely is different.

17. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

and this is entire thread is what is wrong with this country....a simple question got hijacked because some one got their little toes stepped on. We are political correcting ourselves into oblivion. It you get offended shut up, move on and stop bitching.

markfnc, trident2, roygolf and 5 others like this.
  18. nr4042

nr4042 Member

I'm sorry, there are at least 21 spanish speaking countries and over 440 million hispanics but according to you, we should just shut up and all be called Mexican because people are too ignorant to to realize we come from other places than just Mexico. IGNORANCE, that's what's killing America.

Sherry A. likes this.
  19. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

You fuss if singled out and call that racism. You fuss if your genetic background isn't recognized properly but holler racism if it is even recognized. All us "white folks" ain't from the same place either.You are AMERICAN. Get over yourself.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
    HidesinOBX likes this.
  20. BuzzMyMonkey

Being overly offended at the drop of a hat is what's killing the Country