Snow

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Rockyv58, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Tardevil

Tardevil Well-Known Member

I "summered" in the Kanawha Valley, and spent most childhood Christmases there, too. As a child, I knew it was stinky, but I have fond memories of that stench - hard to believe, I know!

2. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

We came into the valley via US 60 E and no matter the time of day or weather you knew when you reached Belle because the smell was so strong and unique. When I attended a seminar for advanced students interested in science and engineering, the employees of the Tech Center on the other side of the river at South Charleston gave us a football they made nearly every day in the lab to play with on their lunch break. Later they were sold worldwide as Nerf balls.

roygolf likes this.
  3. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Updated totals for NC.

SnowMap-2ndcall-01222016-1.png

4. BobF

BobF Well-Known Member

They're calling for as much as two feet here in Richmond.

Sure, it's fun for a day or two.... :cool:

5. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I just hope DOT will brine Tryon Road and 70 through Garner. Have to work in Cary today

6. jesse82nc

The real snow isn't supposed to start until Friday morning and last through Sunday, just a few possible flurries today.

Auxie likes this.
  7. Auxie

Auxie Well-Known Member

We'll just have to wait and see which one is the closer to being correct. :eek:
    In the meantime, anyone want to place some bets on which one is correct? ;)

8. jesse82nc

Updated maps and totals

IceMap-Revised-01222016.png
    SnowMap-Revised-01222016.png

9. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Stay safe up that way!

Sherry

BobF likes this.
  10. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Donuts and fish tails and good bumper riding.
    Look for the older vehicles.

BobF likes this.
  11. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

I got a stupid ?. How do folks handle it when it snows all the time? How you come in without making a mess? I've always lived in Johnston county. We either got wet socks, whipped a little bit, or was told to go out and play some more.

12. BuzzMyMonkey

Good quality clothing to keep dry and warm.
    Snowmobiles, quads/razors, sledding, and plowing.
    And fires.

Hught likes this.
  13. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Going to Tahoe from Placerville on the California side one day about 25 years ago now, I was asking one of the locals about that while climbing into the Sierras. He pointed out a few of the houses and indicated that they were using the winter entrances. I asked how that was different from the summer entrance, to which he replied that the summer entrance was on the ground floor under the snow. I was seeing the second story of the house with an entrance out onto the snow pack, which looked to me like a regular little cabin. It was already warm enough to see a woman in a bikini getting her picture taken at an overlook with a huge snow pack all around. The vertical climb there was so great that that overlook was about 1000 feet straight above the road below which also passed the overlook. Not the Rocky Mountains, but they make these old mountains in the east look like hills.

14. BobF

BobF Well-Known Member

Multi-layer clothing was a must. The old "bread bag over socks under boots" kept the feet dry. As kids, we would enter the farmhouse through the basement access door, down to where the coal furnace was located (yes, I grew up in a farmhouse heated with coal). We would hang our wet/snowy clothes on hooks near the furnace, and they would dry out from the indirect heat. As I got older, snowmobile suits were a "quantum leap", but the simple fact was that people adjusted to their winter environment. I clearly remember being a young kid and seeing bits of grass finally poking through the melting snow after weeks of nothing but barren white landscape, and simply thinking "Oh yeah...THAT'S what grass looks like. I almost forgot".

It sounds quaint and rustic now, but it was Hell getting ready for school, including the 1/2 mile walk to the bus stop in the pitch dark with the below-zero winds howling.

Couldn't do it now. I've become a 'cold weather wimp'. :cool:

Auxie and jrgleason2003 like this.
  15. jesse82nc

I would typically wear several layers, under armor as the base typically, with the outer most layer being my snowboard pants (more than waterproof and breathable) and my multi-layer Columbia jacket. For boots I typically wore my waterproof 8-10" high boots (like military boots), and my Burton gloves. When I came inside, I would just brush off my boots outside first. Nothing else was usually wet as it was all waterproof.

16. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Though I started this post I am really not looking forward to snow/ice. I work weekends up in Raleigh and all I have is the most basic insurance on my vehicle and can not afford to replace it. But also can not afford not to work either

17. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

My flight into Fayetteville tomorrow has already been canceled! Looks like the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame in Cleveland on Saturday and Wright Patt Air-force Museum in Dayton Monday when I was scheduled to head back to Ohio!

Everyone Please Stay Safe!

Auxie and Sherry A. like this.
  18. barney726

barney726 Well-Known Member

call uber. https://www.uber.com/cities/raleigh

19. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

Thank you. I was just wondering do snow people have a tile room or something. Every time you come in, you got snow on your shoes, pants, coat, and hat. I'm just asking.

20. BuzzMyMonkey

Museum of science. Football hall of fame.