headlamp bulbs

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Rockyv58, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Stupid question. You know those really really bright headlight bulbs? What are they called? Cobalt or something like that. Why I ask is I just realized one of my bulbs on my car is dead or dying. I figure I might as replace both bulbs at the same time. I figure since I do a lot of driving at night I figure I want the brightest bulbs I can put in.

Thanks in advance.

2. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

As a fellow driver I would appreciate it if you didn't!

3. Rockyv58

I totally understand. I hate them as a person who has to drive towards them but I drive I-40 and Cleveland school road after 11pm at night. And my 57yo eyes are just not as good as they were when I was 17. :)

BTW I know you met Laila when we were at the dump. Did you ever meet Jese?

Hught likes this.
  4. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I don't believe I did, but I and I assure you they, appreciate your care of these friends needing help!

Rockyv58 likes this.
  5. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Technically the "blue" replacement bulbs are not supposed to pass inspection in NC because of the brightness. The Xenon bulbs on the BMWs are special HID systems

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  6. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Xenon Bulbs. The very bright ones are HID of High Intensity Discharge bulbs. But you can't put those in a car that was not designed for them, or else you will blind everyone on the road. Cars that come with HIDs from the factory have projector lenses on their headlights to focus the beam properly as to not blind other drivers.

As to the color, anything above about 6000 Kelvin is actually losing light output, that would be anything in the blueish range. The most effective light output from a bulb comes in the 4800-5500K range.

Just use something like the Sylvania Ultra Star bulbs.

If you want something brighter, you could always add a light bar to your vehicle and wire it in to the high beams. So when you are driving on the backroads at night, you can easy switch it on and off as needed. That's how I have it set up on my truck. You can pick up an inexpensive light bar for about the same price as a good set of bulbs for your low beams.

Rockyv58, Wayne Stollings and Hught like this.
  7. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

Some of them lights have got to be illegal, or should. About 3 vehicles on my road are way too bright. The worst is a harley with a light bar. You just close your eyes and hope for the best. I got two 50 LED bars on a couple of UTVs I use for work. No way they would be legal. I have to cut them off when checking cows at night at a certain spot in the path. I can see right into a friend's house from over 200 yards when I round the curve. The blue blue ones should defiantly be illegal.

8. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Just about any LED light bar is "For off road use only". But if you are on a back road with no other traffic, it's not like it's going to be a problem using them. They should absolutely be off and are illegal for driving in traffic.

9. Rockyv58

Just started researching those bulbs. On the amazon page you can put in your auto. And for my 2002 Isuzu Rodeo sport, it comes back with: This does not fit your.

I am just going to run by Pep Boys in Garner tomorrow to see what they have. At the same time I can have them put them in.

Thanks all for your input.

10. Auxie

Auxie Well-Known Member

I went to Wal-Mart last month and had them replace my low beam bulbs as one had ceased to work and I got High Intensity. Will replace the high beam lamps when 1 of them dies. I sure like the difference. :)

Rockyv58 likes this.
  11. Rockyv58

I'll check them out. Did they install it for you? I think on my bulbs they do both the high and low beams,

12. cranky

cranky Well-Known Member

13. Auxie

Auxie Well-Known Member

They installed them also.