Ceiling fan light

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Rockyv58, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Is anyone good with ceiling fan lights? The chain in the center that controls my ceiling fan lights came off. I undid the little center stub and instead of being able to re-hook the chain I ended up pushing the switch up into the light. According the salesman at Lowes, I just have to undo the two screws holding the light fixture to the ceiling fan, drop the lights (let them hang by their wiring) and re-attach the chain, then put the two screws in. He made it sound like it should take 20-30 minutes to do it. With my luck it will take three days.

Thanks for looking.

Bob V

2. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

only touch one wire at the time.

3. PoohBear

PoohBear Well-Known Member

duh. If you cut the wall switch off for the ceiling light and fan, there is no power up there. You can touch all wires at same time. Also a sure way is to turn off breaker for that room.

4. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

an electrician would short two and not climb down the ladder

5. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

A non-electrician might short two and fall off the ladder ...... (I am always catching grief when I don't kill the power when I do something like that at work ... if I need to kill it I can do it quickly just like that, but mostly I do not need to)

The guy who taught me electrical work was an electrician in the mines. He had a collection of coins that had been in his pocket when he got into the high voltage DC current. Each instance was melted together into a single lump.

6. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Please everyone, error on the side of safety!

7. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

If everyone were safe there would be no interesting stories ..... told by the survivors to the relatives of the casualties. ;)

cynadon and Hught like this.
  8. Auxie

Auxie Well-Known Member

I would NEVER assume that the switch is wired where the voltage is turned off with the switch. The switch could be wired where the ground (negative) is turned off with the switch and the other wire could be still be hot!
    ALWAYS turn off the breaker for the circuit that your working on before you touch ANY wiring!