Electrical costs\saving tube\hd

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Rockyv58, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I am curious if anyone know of any studies done with the cost\savings between owning an tube TV compared to a HD TV.
    I am still running analog tube TV's and started wondering how long the payback would be by investing in one of the new flat panel TV's

2. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

I don't know about the new ones. I got a 50in plasma that is like having a heater hanging on the wall. I've read mine is comparable to a refrigerator.

3. Auxie

Auxie Well-Known Member

I believe you'll find that HDTVs are much more expensive to run than a CRT TV, even when a HDTV is turned off, it will use more power than running a CRT TV.
    You might be able find how many watts each of them use by looking on the back of the set on the label that also shows the model and serial number. If it's not shown, contact the manufacture as they should have an office in the US.
    And the more features that is has, the more power it uses, even when the video and audio are off!
    Check it out and you'll see that Cynadon is right.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  4. cynadon

I just googled "led tv wattage". Plasma is 2 - 3 times led. I didn't find a rating for crt. It appears new tvs use more electricity than old ones. I'm assuming brightness and size is the reason. A large tv 25 years ago is small to normal by todays standards.

5. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

California was considering a ban on the new large plasma TV's at one time due to their high population density overloading the grid with the increased usage of power.

6. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

7. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

A Samsung 55" OLED TV uses 135W on average. That's about the same as a large laptop computer, or about what the lights in your average bathroom draw.
    Assuming roughly 5 hours of use per day, that's about $27 a year in electricity.

Your average 32" CRT TV uses about 100-150W. A modern Samsung 32" LED TV draws roughly 30W on average.

But it is correct that LED/OLED TVs do draw power when off, that same 32" Samsung draw 0.3W when off. Which will cost you about 30 cents per year.

Rockyv58 and Hught like this.
  8. cynadon

If your that tight, get rid of the tv.

BuzzMyMonkey likes this.