Century link

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Rockyv58, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Anyone use Century link for just their home phone? After our little ice storm in January I lost my power for over a day and a half. Had to keep my cell phone charged by keeping my car running. Also I do not get good cell phone signal at home anyway.
    I remember the old days when you had a home phone and you lost power you still had home phone service.

Thanks in advance

Auxie likes this.
  2. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

The phone company had/has generators to power the phone lines, which is why they are not considered "Safe" lines. The cell phone companies use battery packs to keep their towers powered but that does not feed through to your phone.

3. bridgett

bridgett Well-Known Member

Yes, if you have a landline phone and an old plug in phone (not cordless) you can still make calls during power outages.

Rockyv58 likes this.
  4. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

If you don't mind me asking. How much do you pay for it a month? At least for now I am thinking of keeping my TV service and internet with TWC. But in the near future that can change as well.

5. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

I have had Centurylink landline for over 20 years. I dropped the Long Distance on it since I can make long distance calls on my cell phone if necessary. So I am just paying for local and call waiting which is about 41.00 a month........... to me which is so worth it :) I have an answering machine for my landline and that is strictly for any business doings... my cell is for fun so no doctors or pharmacies or any stupid robo calls cannot bother me on my cell :)

6. bridgett

Hi Rocky, for landline phone only - it's about $42 month (just as robbie posted). I have DSL also, which is slow, but fast enough for me. I use a magicJack for my long distance. Good Luck!

7. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

My modem, router, vonage device, and cordless base all are on a battery backup. My phone and internet work just fine when the power goes out until TWC's equipment's battery backup dies eventually. But it's good for a few hours usually at least.

8. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

My wife told me we lost power a couple of times last week and WiFi still worked!

9. jesse82nc

Unless you have a large battery backup (UPS) for your modem and router, there's no way your Internet connection would still be up if your power was off.

10. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

My wife runs the computer systems for the local college and has overdone our computer systems including UPS.

11. Straitlover

Straitlover Well-Known Member

Does the $42 include all the taxes and fees, or do I need to add another $15 or so? My current bill is $81.99; that is landline, voicemail and 3M speed DSL. I am thinking of changing internet to TWC or Earthlink, but customer service won't give me an all-in price for landline only. Eventually I plan on switching to Ooma, but it will be a little while before I do (need to get better internet first!)

12. jesse82nc

How do you guys pay so much? I pay $64/month with taxes and fees for 200MB down / 20MB up internet and basic cable with TWC. Then I pay about $15 a month with taxes and fees for Vonage.

Auxie likes this.
  13. bridgett

Hi,

That was for everything, about 10 years ago before I added DSL. It may be a little higher now. You can call them up and ask them what the complete monthly cost will be with all taxes and fees. I've done that in the past.

14. bridgett

I pay for it because I want a landline phone.

15. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Yes, my 41.00 includes ALL taxes and fees with Centurylink :) I have internet and cable with TWC...

bridgett likes this.
  16. spy109

spy109 Well-Known Member

VoIP is of not as dependable when the power goes out hence the point of the thread.

Rockyv58 likes this.
  17. jesse82nc

I've had it for 9 years now, only after a few hours of the power going out, does it stop working. When TWC's battery backup finally runs out. And I could count on one hand all the times that has ever happened here. Plus that's what a cell phone is for. How many phone calls do you really need to make when the power is out anyway?

cynadon likes this.