Hummingbirds are back!!!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Kent, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Auxie

Auxie Well-Known Member

I never take mine down for the Winter. Just kept a supply of liquid in it. Guess that I'll check it again tomorrow.

2. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

The missus just said she wanted to get the feeders out by the weekend!! Looking forward to seeing our little friends back from their long journey!!

Romeo likes this.
  3. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

4. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Thanks, I forgot it was almost time already!!!

5. Auxie

Auxie Well-Known Member

6. Pepper Jack

Pepper Jack Well-Known Member

Any sightings or updates?

7. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

I've got 1 male back so far.

Sherry A. likes this.
  8. Pepper Jack

Thanks Kent. I'll keep looking and hoping

9. elims

elims Well-Known Member

I hadn't put my feeder out yet, but I was outside this morning and saw a hummer checking out the area I've kept it in past years! I need to make up some nectar and get those guys fed!

10. Auxie

Auxie Well-Known Member

How do you make your Nectar?

11. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

I mix Sugar and Water together, they love it. 1 part sugar, 4 parts water, boil it, then let it cool. Super easy.

elims and Auxie like this.
  12. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Yep, what Jesse said. :)

Auxie likes this.
  13. Pepper Jack

1st visitor shortly after sunrise but I'm concerned because HE came to a red rose and not the feeders, I have 5 out
    I stopped using color this year and I'm wondering if that is why he bypassed the feeders

14. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

I believe they are highly attracted to the color red... a couple drops of red food coloring in mix helps

15. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I know people are trying to cut out the food coloring, I have tried a red transparent plastic sheet wrapped around the exterior of the food reservoir in the past and it seemed to work.

Sherry A. likes this.
  16. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

True.. there's not much left in the world today that doesn't carry certain risks.. including food coloring. great idea there

17. Auxie

Auxie Well-Known Member

It's mixed and in my back yard, awaiting Hummers.

18. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

I put mine up. Saw 1 flying while i was mowing. We usually have 4 regulars.

19. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

http://www.hummingbirds.net/dye.html
    Red dye is TOTALLY UNNECESSARY to attract hummingbirds. Reports of informal experiments using side by side feeders, one with red syrup and one with plain, suggested that the birds do not like the taste of red dye.
    Natural flower nectar is clear, not red. Hummingbirds don't look at nectar anyway, they look for flowers of the right shape and color, and nearly all hummingbird feeders are red plastic. For the ones that aren't, tie on some red ribbon or surveyor's tape if the birds need help finding them.

Sherry A. likes this.
  20. Romeo

Romeo Active Member

I have seen plenty of other birds but NO HUMMERs yet. Anyone see any recently?