I did dumb

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by cynadon, Apr 25, 2016.

1. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

I "won" an apple macbook air for "free". I got it in the mail. I physically own it. Now folks call me all the time with BS. Email too. I just registered my mobile# on the "do not call list". Am I screwed or what? I just need to talk to customers and friends on my mobile.

2. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I'll take the MacBook of your hands LOL. I've registered my home phone and my cell phones over the years on the "do not call' list but it seems like they never comply with that list. So I always let numbers I do not know go to voice mail.

Auxie likes this.
  3. cynadon

yeah, rocky, but the only way I make a living is taking orders,

4. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Email - set a rule for their email address to go to trash

Cell phone - You can add numbers to a blocked list, they go straight to voicemail.

5. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

I am not that Apple literate, but the company that bought us for a time was heavy into them. They set up a special ringtone for company members whcih I assume could have been expanded to cover customers and anyone else you wanted. You just answer the correct ringtone and check the voicemail on the others. You can also add the ones who slip into voicemail the first time so that it doesn't happen again.

6. cynadon

Yeah maybe. No. I "won" a lottery and received an AirBook. Filled out the receipt and folks won't leave me alone. I just want to sell my widgets and talk to my amigos.

7. Wayne Stollings

I suppose there was probably some fine print in the contest rules that allows them to sell/use your information? Did you retain your old phone carrier when you changed the number or was this a new number?

8. cynadon

had the same # 15 years or so, Verizon then sprint.

The Simpsons " See - Lee customer, Yooo can not destroy a twinkie."

9. cynadon

actually sprint then verizion

10. Wayne Stollings

So did you use the number as part of the entry or did you have to give them the number as part of the registration? At some point or many points they have probably slipped something into the fine print, but if not you may be able to stop them from selling the info anymore. It may not help much but it might help some.

11. cynadon

I did dumb. I gave them factual info for a 1400$ computer. I got the laptop, but now I get calls for all kinds of stuff. I just registered my # on do not call.

12. Wayne Stollings

Hey you got more for your information than a lot of people get for theirs. You are ahead of the game in that respect.

13. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

If it is a smartphone try an app called Mr. Number.

14. certdude

certdude Well-Known Member

That might be under the exemptions for Do not Call, as you now have a business relationship with them. I forget how long said exemptions last. Look at FTCs website (they run DNC) and it will explain better.

Your best bet is to probably change your email and maybe phone number. This is why I have a google voice line for weird stuff like this as its filtered quite well. Its always good to have multiple emails for stuff like this thats iffy to put down.