Trash dump sticker going up to $100

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Straitlover, May 28, 2016.

1. Straitlover

Straitlover Well-Known Member

I dropped my trash off at the Barber Mill Rd convenience center yesterday. They had a sign up saying the new sticker will be $100. That's a $35 increase. Better start saving your pennies!

2. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I wonder why the increase

3. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Because there are too many people moving here and that means more trash, which means more people to handle it and places to put it. Costs can't stay the same forever. I think JoCo was looking into doing away with it altogether in favor of mandatory trash service payable via taxes as well.

4. certdude

certdude Well-Known Member

Ya county commissioners did look into it a few months ago. I dont know what happened of it though.

5. kevinsmithii

kevinsmithii Well-Known Member

he dump and the container sites don't want to follow their own guidelines of types of trash and amounts and charge tipping fees as prescribed. Now we all get to pay.

6. Rockyv58

I remember when you use to get two dump stickers for the 65.00 but they changed it cause I guess too many people were chipping in on the price of the sticker. I doubt they will go back to two stickers for 100.00 (but one can only be hopeful). I do remember the hippy redneck dude at the Barbour mill site was telling me that the commissioners were looking to do like Raleigh does and include it in the property taxes and do away with the stickers

Romeo likes this.
  7. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

still only about 2 -3 mo of service from any of the companies.,

8. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

They need to take a page from Wake County. If you can show proof of residence (ie driver's license) you can dump there without having to pay for a sticker.

9. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

Isn't asking for a photo id discriminatory?

Rockyv58 likes this.
  10. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

They have been losing money for a long time and announced this way back when it went from $55 to $65 as a way to help offset the losses. I'll continue to pay, still seems like a better deal than higher taxes or paying Waste Industries.

On another note, has anyone else noticed that the guys working at some of those sites have about as much ambition as a toll booth operator? I've seen more hustle at the DMV office.

Romeo, poppin cork and Rockyv58 like this.
  11. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Same in Sampson County

12. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Personally, I think there needs to be some standardization and the County and residents can benefit from it. Right now we have at least 6 trash outfits servicing my immediate area. That's 6 trash trucks through my neighborhood every week. Why not work out some sort of franchise/licensing thing and see what the rates are? You'd still have the option of a sticker, but you could consolidate the trash business a bit saving the company's money as well as reducing traffic, etc. Also, there are some people who have the sticker and do not take their trash to the dump but once every couple of weeks. They let it pile up behind their house attracting all kinds of critters because they are too lazy to take it to the convenience center more often. The model is a bit wonky right now and needs to be examined. I think the sticker needs to cost more, but not too much to discourage people from taking their trash to the dump at all.

13. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

If this is the case, their taxes likely reflect that cost in the absence of the sticker. So should all residents in JoCo pay higher taxes for free dumping? What about those who choose to have a service pick it up? Could those people be excluded from that tax?

14. Romeo

Romeo Active Member

My Driver's License says that I live in Garner (not 40-42 area). Will that work?o_O

15. CraigSPL

didn't say it had to be a PHOTO id just used that as an example. And as a side note since you would be DRIVING to the dump it would make sense to use the driver's license as proof of residence.

16. CraigSPL

if you are still a resident of JoCo sure.

17. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Sooooo....how would this work? The guys at the dump are supposed to pull up Google Maps and see if my Garner address is in Johnston County?

18. Rockyv58

From what I see all the hippy dude does is check to see if you have a valid sticker

19. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

So you want the government to regulate private trash companies? You think trash pickup is expensive now, wait until there's only one company to choose from.

Romeo, cynadon and poppin cork like this.
  20. Rockyv58

I was always under the impression that competition always brought lower prices and higher quality. But I know that in the is the USA that doesn't happen :)

jesse82nc likes this.