Today's Wow did I just see that?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Hught, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

2. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I have seen this with my own eyes, it cost more to haul it off than to just make a mountain of it . . .

The Great Sulphur Pyramids of Alberta
    [​IMG]
    Sulfur, useful as it is, is produced in such vast quantities as a byproduct of energy production that it is of little value. There's so much of it that Canadian oil company Syncrude's storage site is slowly turning into an enormous pyramid of sulfur.

Google Maps reveals that there are in fact three of them, a Gizeh of The North!

Here's a photo by Jason Woodhead, released under the Creative Commons.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If they keep going, it'll eventually be far larger than the Great Pyramid in Egypt.

[​IMG]

3. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Additional note, this area has the largest and 3rd largest dams in the world. When you first get there you kind of freak out because cannons are periodically shot off to discourage the birds from landing in the tailing ponds these dams have created.

Auxie likes this.
  4. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

5. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

6. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Auxie likes this.
  7. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

8. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

9. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

10. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Auxie likes this.
  11. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

Whoa.......sulphur ziggurats! Amazing!

Hught likes this.
  12. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

13. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

14. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

15. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Powerful message in this PSA, unfortunately some of the language is NSFW.

How to make a difference

A PSA from Donate Life America.

Checking that box on your driver's license renewal, or application, is simple and saves lives.

poppin cork likes this.
  16. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I saw a quote the other day that indicated that Integrity is when you do the right thing even when others are not watching, although not literal in this case it is a heart touching story of people passing it on . . .

Server receives $500 tip after simple act of kindness

17. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Sherry A. and Auxie like this.
  18. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

If I was as old as this guy and my body in the condition his currently is in, I think I might just want to die also.

Indonesian Man Claims to Be World's Oldest at 145
    Mbah Gotho of Indonesia has an identity card that says he was born in 1870, which (if verified) would make him 145 years old and the world's oldest person — ever.

[​IMG]

According to a 27 August 2016 staff report in the Telegraph, a man named Mbah Gotho, who resides in Sragen, Java in Indonesia, may be the oldest living human being in recorded history, though all he wants to do, he says, is die

19. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

20. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member