Clayton jurisdiction?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by jesse82nc, Aug 2, 2016.

1. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Can someone explain why Clayton is working on rezoning this? I thought this was well outside their jurisdiction?

Attached Files:

2. Auxie

Auxie Well-Known Member

They must be making money on it someway!

3. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Looks like it's the western most edge of their ETJ from the maps I was able to find. I didn't realize they went so far west of 70-bypass.

4. cranky

cranky Well-Known Member

And they will just keep on taking until they swallaow it all up. They love all the tax revenue theyre geting witout having to provide full services. It's only going to cxomplicate matters if we ever get off our butts and try to incorporate. We can only incorporate or annex with so far of another municipalities ETJ or limits.

Hatteras6 likes this.
  5. barney726

barney726 Well-Known Member

6. certdude

certdude Well-Known Member

Thought there were state laws on how far an ETJ could go. I know it has to be contiguous. Maybe its within a mile of existing town "limits"? If so most of this would fall in.

7. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Any city may exercise ETJ authority up to one mile from the corporate limits.

With County approval, cities of 10,000 or more population may extend ETJ up to two miles from the corporate limits.

With County approval, cities of 25,000 or more population may extend ETJ up to three miles from the corporate limits

8. certdude

certdude Well-Known Member

Wayne thanks for that.

So based on the hospital being full city, they can go well past the 70 bypass at that point.

9. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Exactly the same point many of us made years ago. Couldn't get folks to consider the alternatives: instead of being swallowed by Clayton, contributing large bucks for few services or setting our own millage and services.

The most frequent refrain was "We moved out here to get away from taxes." and refusing to consider that the goods and services they'd receive would be provided by the rate we chose.

If Archer Lodge can do it, we certainly could.

Rockyv58 likes this.