Windows10/PDF

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by robbie, Aug 19, 2016.

1. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Hi All!!! I downloaded to my FREE Windows 10 and now I cannot open any PDF :( Is there any settings that must be changed or such? Thanks for your help:)

2. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Did you download and install Adobe Acrobat Reader, which is the program that is used to read PDFs?

3. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

Sherry A. likes this.
  4. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Thank You jesse and Don't Care........... I will try those suggestions and let you know how I make out !!!! I appreciate it !! :)

5. Auxie

Auxie Well-Known Member

I click on ... (upper right corner) and scroll down to "Open with Internet Explorer" and then proceed as before downloading Windows 10. This works most of the time.
    I've also re-installed Adobe Reader.
    One reason Windows 10 has problems is because a lot of Sites haven't redone their sites to be used with Windows 10.

6. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

thank you Auxie,,,, the site will not allow for me to open with Windows Explorer... it is not highlighted :(

7. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Windows 10 uses Edge as the default PDF viewer, but it's not very good. You should be able to go to the App store and download the Microsoft PDF viewer like you probably had before.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sto...d4858930441c10068a1963e)(259740)(2806692)()()

If you don't like that one you can always install Adobe.
    https://get.adobe.com/reader/

Be sure in un-check the option to install McAfee, True Key or any other optional offers

Neither one of these options opened my PDF either :( Fustrated !!!!

8. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

Did you tell it which program to use? Right click the document and there will be a menu of options. About 7 or 8 lines down click "Open With". Choose Adobe Acrobat or whichever program you wish to use.

9. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

When it cannot open do you not see an error message saying it 'cannot be opened with "X" program do you want to choose another app or search the web'?

10 calls programs apps now.If you choose 'another app' there should be a list including Adobe. Once you choose Adobe there is also a box to check to always use that program.

This is just another route for the "open with" option above, but tells you which program WIndows is trying to use.

10. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

right clicked on document and it just says open in new window, copy link, inspect element, open in new tab and bing lookup... all clicked on and come back to say Something is preventing from this PDF from opening.......Wayne I am not given any option to Open With.......... clicked on everything else and still says Something is preventing this PDF from opening.

11. Wayne Stollings

Odd.

Did you try Don't Care's option?

Right click on the file.

It should give you the options:

Open
    Scan with (maybe)
    Open with

If you click on "open with" the options should be:

Adobe
    Search the store
    Choose another app.

If it shows Adobe first there is something preventing the file from being accessed. If the first option is not Adobe, click "choose another app" and click Adobe. This will also give you that option of using adobe this once or every time for this type of file.

If it is trying to use Adobe do you have any other PDF files to try to open?

12. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

I did right click on the file and the options from my earlier post come up. NO option to open scan with or open with :(

13. Wayne Stollings

My Windows 10 with Adobe Acrobat reader installed gives these options when I right click

Open with Adobe Acrobat
    Open
    Scan
    Open with
    ------
    Share with
    Restore previous version
    -----
    Send
    ------
    Cut
    Copy
    ------
    Create shortcut
    Delete
    Rename
    ------
    Properties

I assume that if Adobe was not active for that file it would not have such an option, everything else with the possible exclusion of "scan" should be the same.

Is your file on the hard drive or another memory source?

14. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

You can set the default program another way.
    Go to the Start Button (Lower Left of screen) > All Apps > Windows System and open Control Panel.
    Open Default Programs then click on "Associate a File Type or Protocol with a specific program".

Wait for it to load, scroll down to .pdf. See what the .pdf default program is set to and change it to Adobe Acrobat or whatever you are tying to use.

15. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I don't know if it will make a difference, but last night I got a very major update on Windows 10. Before messing around too much I would force an update if it has not already happened.

The upgrade forced updates for a number of other programs on my SurfacePro and about 4 restarts.

16. Auxie

Auxie Well-Known Member

Strange, I haven't received a Windows upgrade for several weeks.

17. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Anniversary Edition came out a couple weeks ago now, that was a huge update.

18. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

That was the one that updated on my SurfacePro yesterday.