Hurricane Matthew - 2016

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by jesse82nc, Oct 2, 2016.

1. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

http://flhurricane.com/cyclone/stormspotlight.php?year=2016&storm=14

Keep an eye on this one. Some of the models are showing it grazing by NC or even making a quick landfall on the coast before going back out to sea.

Currently it's a strong Category 4 at 145 mph. While grazing the coast might not seem bad for us, Tropical Storm for winds (39-73 mph) extend out 205 miles from the center currently. We are only about 100 miles from Wilmington and 175 miles from Hatteras.

The storm is expected to stay strong and possible even strengthen a little over the next few days. It could still be a solid Category 2-3 when it comes near NC. Heavy rain could be expected, several inches in some areas.

It is currently projected to be in our vicinity Friday night through Sunday (10/7 through 10/9).

Keep yourself updated on the progress of the storm, and be sure to fill up your generators before Friday and have extra fuel on hand if needed. While unlikely at this point to be a major threat to our area, it's still better to be prepared.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
    lgb0250, Sherry A. and Auxie like this.
  2. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Such fun, and i am supposed to be in Fort Meyers, FL Tuesday and back just in time for the double whammy on Wednesday. :(

3. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

So should we hit up the grocery stores & stock up on bread, milk, beer, & essential supplies . Watching wral one of the hurricane strands comes right over central N C

4. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

WE NEED BREAD, MILK, AND PEANUT BUTTER OR WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!!!!

(I actually slept though Fran until the eye wall passed and then I went out to check some of my properties so not really ..... )

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  5. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

Thanks for such an intelligent, caring response. Lots of folks lost nearly everything in FRAN. But, it ain't bad if it don't hit you. Idiot!

MommyMo1011 likes this.
  6. Wayne Stollings

You should make more assumptions and rely less on facts, since you will think the opposite of what is stated.

7. BobF

BobF Well-Known Member

It's OK to lighten up a bit. Fran dropped a pine tree on my Sonata but I still thought Wayne's post was funny.

I think people are smart enough to catch the sarcasm.

8. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

He thought properly and factually regardless of the spin you're trying now.
    It was an ignorant comment by you making light of death.

Auxie likes this.
  9. poppin cork

10. BuzzMyMonkey

Yeah I'm sure it's relegated to you and your ilk.
    20 plus people were killed almost half were do to falling trees. I'm sure they all would find Waynes and your post funny.

11. poppin cork

They're also smart enough to see when it isn't sarcasm. Try again.

12. Wayne Stollings

Note: You "liked" the first one, which must not have been sarcasm about the local preparations for any bad weather ......

13. BobF

BobF Well-Known Member

If you know anyone who feels that their ability to survive a major hurricane depends on how much peanut butter they have hoarded, I hope you can help them reorganize their priorities.

14. jesse82nc

lgb0250 and Auxie like this.
  15. BuzzMyMonkey

Really Wayne??? None of which made light of death. Major difference and no comparison to what you said.

16. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

The weather service is stating that all of this will depend on how quickly Matthew moves because the front coming from the west could push it farther out to sea. Hopefully this sucker will move away from us.

Sherry

17. jesse82nc

Here's a quick mashup to give an idea of the size of the storm.

The yellow represents the actual size of the storm (based on cloud coverage and IR).
    The blue represents the tropical storm force winds (195 miles from center) - 39 to 73 mph
    The red represents the hurricane force winds (30 miles from center) - 74+ mph

Assuming it stays about the same size (it should weaken though), this is where it would be roughly on early Saturday morning.

upload_2016-10-3_10-17-59.png

lgb0250 likes this.
  18. poppin cork

Thanks for the stupid diversion. Now learn to read.

19. bridgett

bridgett Well-Known Member

OH BROTHER!

Wayne Stollings and Hught like this.
  20. BobF

BobF Well-Known Member

It's called "levity".

Insult duly noted and ignored.

Stay safe.

Wayne Stollings likes this.