Dairy

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Rockyv58, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Now there is really only one source now, Airgas Carbonics on Miami Blvd. in Durham, but they sell through several grocery stores from there to the coast. We use a fair amount in parts of our analytical process so I had a ready supply from which to pull.

http://dryiceideas.com/retail-locator/

Auxie and cynadon like this.
  2. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Just a thought. Walking past all the empty freezers and coolers and such. I wonder what grocery stores did with it all. Did they just trash it all or maybe give a bunch to shelters (possibly running on generators). Just pondering. No need to slam me.

3. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

Probably trashed based on health regulations. Sad.

4. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

If it ain't good enough to sell, give it to poor people. what are you Rocky, a politician?

Rockyv58 likes this.
  5. Wayne Stollings

The coolers would not be usable, but the frozen food that was beginning to thaw could be used IF, and it is a big if, it could be used quickly enough because it cannot be re-frozen. With the difficulties in transport during that time it was probably a total loss and was taken to a landfill. The downside of a donation of such material is that there could be liability issues if someone were to become ill and that the insurance loss claim would have to reflect and credits received for the donation. The system is not designed to use such material.

Those companies who donate old bread etc., are a different category as those are cost of business expenses and not casualty loss expenses in case you were wondering.

6. Rockyv58

No just curious. Was watching a video a few weeks ago how in France their food does not get tossed it goes to feed the poor. Plus also I hate seeing stuff going to waste.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    Auxie likes this.
  7. cynadon

I've been wondering the same thing. If grocery stores don't have generators, how many dollars worth do they throw out? I reckon it's covered under insurance. Also, when you are hungry and finally get to a restaurant, where did they get fresh/safe food. I threw out both refrigerators!

8. ROUTER

ROUTER Well-Known Member

It was all thrown away, walmart and food lion both brought in huge open top dumpsters and tossed it all out. Not trying to be captain obvious here but...

Rockyv58 and cynadon like this.
  9. ROUTER

ROUTER Well-Known Member

Walmart and food lion both donate the majority of the unsold food to food banks and charities. It is donated as long as it is safe, but not if it may not be safe. Not 100 percent fresh is one thing, those items are donated. Items that require refrigeration but reach an unsafe temperature have to be thrown away.

10. ROUTER

ROUTER Well-Known Member

The manager at food lion told me they threw away about $160,000 worth of product.

cynadon likes this.
  11. cynadon

wooo. I guessed maybe a hundred thousand!

12. Rockyv58

No problem was just curious

13. Wayne Stollings

Some will use dry ice for the frozen food if they can get it fast enough. The freezers they use are not designed to hold the temperature as well as the freezers we use in our homes. The food in the back surrounded by other frozen food will last longer, but if there is any delay that raises a question they should err on the side of caution. The smaller stores might stretch it but the chain stores have the insurance coverage for loss and the concern over a liability claim if they sell anything questionable.

That is a concern even without a hurricane. I had a place which was also a major caterer I loved for lunch. Until one day my fruit salad was clearly out of date. I mentioned it and went on, but had a repeat a few weeks later. I stopped eating there and within a few months they were out of business. I assume too many were caused to have a concern over the food safety or the inspector caught them on a bad day.

Yes, the contents are toast after about 4 hours or so. If it gets above 40 degrees F it should not be trusted. I put 20 lb of water ice in mine but the temperature was 51 F when the power was restored. The freezers were still below 30 F but they had about 20 lb of dry ice in each one. Dry ice is -78 C so it kept everything cooler. It can work in the fridge, but open eggs and items containers will still be trashed due to the affect on the taste. Egg shells are permeable to gas and the pure CO2 makes them partially carbonated and that tastes really bad. It does nothing good for milk and iced tea either.

14. molly2008

molly2008 Well-Known Member

WTH does that have to do with the price of tea in China? I told you which stores were open and stocked in CLAYTON because you said 4042 wasn't stocked. What area is closest to 4042? Clayton for Pete's sake, 15 minutes from 4042 if you hit every single stop light. I didn't suggest you drive to another state and find Bessie the cow and milk her yourself!

I say this with true concern, you may want to work on your self-reliance and problem solving skills. If I knew you IRL I would worry that you would be paralyzed with indecision when faced with a serious problem requiring immediate choices. What would you have done if the board/FB/internet was down and you needed to find a certain product or service quickly? There was life before the Google. ;)