Garner looking to expand

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by jesse82nc, Oct 17, 2016.

1. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Michael smith likes this.
  2. Michael smith

Michael smith Active Member

New homes or a new shopping center??

3. Auxie

Auxie Well-Known Member

Long as Garner stays out of Johnston County, I'm OK with it.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  4. Michael smith

Michael smith Active Member

Unfortunately nothing does NOT stay the same forever.

5. lgb0250

lgb0250 Well-Known Member

Garner is already well into Johnston Cty. At least the part of Garner I live in is.

6. Auxie

Auxie Well-Known Member

But we don't live within the City Limits. That's what is expanding.

7. jesse82nc

That's just the boundaries of the Garner post office/zip code. It's not actually Garner City Limits or Garner ETJ. It's unincorporated JoCo.

JustAnotherMom and Auxie like this.
  8. cranky

cranky Well-Known Member

I wonder how we will all feel when we get swallowed up by Garner or Clayton? News flash they keep getting closer. Laws regarding incorporation dictate a certain distance to any other ETJ or city limits. All because we can't settle on a name.

jesse82nc likes this.
  9. ROUTER

ROUTER Well-Known Member

I would guess that there is also a good amount of opposition from people who don't want to pay city taxes, that is probably a reason that many of the newcomers moved to this area in the first place.

jesse82nc and cynadon like this.
  10. jesse82nc

With the latest expansion of Garner's ETJ, they are 1.1 miles from 40/42 now. Clayton is still a good 2.9 miles though.

11. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

The name is probably the easy part. It is the opposition to incorporation because of 'taxes' that people don't like. They want services. They want some growth. They don't want traffic. They don't want crime. But taxes are bad. That's the hard part. Making the services provided commensurate with the taxes collected and doing so quickly.

12. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Those folks who live just outside city limits likely benefit from city services in the form of crime prevention, planning, and growth. They do all of their shopping inside city limits and make use of the parks. You can't have it both ways.

13. ROUTER

ROUTER Well-Known Member

They put money into the city when they shop and when they purchase services from businesses in those cities.

14. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

So they pay sales tax, but not property tax. I don't have the breakdown of which agency collects certain taxes to pay for what services, but I think it is safe to say that if they visit a park in Garner and take advantage of movie night (for example) then they're getting a pretty good deal.

15. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Anyone from Cary or anywhere else for that matter can go to movie night at park can't they ?

16. ROUTER

ROUTER Well-Known Member

But when they support those businesses it keeps those places open. Stores and restaurants pay alot more than sales tax. By the way, if you are not a resident of Clayton, you have to pay for a membership at their library, that just doesn't seem right to me.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  17. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Clayton gets no direct sales tax revenue. The state and county do but not the city. The city infrastructure is paid by property tax, enforcement revenue, and the like. It is not unreasonable to require those who are not paying for the infrastructure through their property taxes to pay a membership fee. Those who pay property taxes are paying their fee in the form of those taxes.

18. ROUTER

ROUTER Well-Known Member

I get what you are saying, but some people don't have the extra money for a library membership, and I don't see what good comes from preventing their children from having access to a book.

19. Wayne Stollings

I agree completely. I have very fond memories of the county book mobile when I was young. That allowed me to read many more books than I normally would have given the drive to the county library was in excess of an hour one way on a good day. Perhaps something could be done to provide reduced price /free membership for children similar to the school lunch program. It might be something to discuss with the library. There might be some kind of grant to provide the membership too.

20. Wayne Stollings

According to the data presented when the Clayton Library split from the county system only about 33% of the library patrons at the time lived within the city limits. That is a larger difference than I expected.